Questions about a recently acquired M1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about a recently acquired M1

I recently acquired my first M1 and found that it was manufactured around August 1943. My questions are about the condition of the gun. Where does it fall condition wise (used, abused, parts gun?) It seems in decent quality except for some dents and dings and wear and tear, but again I know very little about the gun. Also the internal parts seem to have different serial numbers. Is that common for the weapon or has it been pieced together? Thank you for your time.

Parts photos

Comment

Parts

Comment

Rifle looks great and has a few very early parts on it.

Comment

• Mhett83
          Mhett83 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Any online resources to check the part number dates? Or do you just know from experience?

There is only ONE serial number on an M1 rifle--the number on the receiver heel below the makers name. The numbers on ALL other parts are drawing numbers and aren't supposed to "match". M1 parts aren't "matched" like a Mauser.
        Jon

Comment

• Mhett83
          Mhett83 commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha, thanks. They all seem like they fit the general time frame of the gun?

Obviously it's only worth what someone will pay for it. I am curious what the average resale would be for it. I picked it up for cheap and was told by a buddy I got a great deal ($200)

Thanks again

Comment

Yes, $200 was a great deal. Haven’t seen Garands that cheap in decades.

Comment

Johnny Law is looking for you because you STOLE it!!!
            Jon

Comment

Rifle is a complete mixture of parts from different years which doesn't matter, you got a great deal at $200.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhett83 View Post
                I got a great deal ($200)
                Holy crap!
                I haven't seen any deal like that forever! Awesome score.
                m14brian

Comment

Working...
                X