bought an H&R Garand today--questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bought an H&R Garand today--questions

I bought an H&R garand today made in 1955, has an 12-56 HRA barrel, IHC trigger group, NM op rod, fairly nice stock, has some pitting around the whole gun but not enough to take away from the looks or serviceability. ser# is 57113XX. holds about a quarter inch of GI surplus bullet out the bore end, had good looking rifling. my problem with it is the maker name cannot be made out on the reciever. the serial number is crisp and clear. the gun has been blued somewhere down the line. can only see faint markings other than serial number. what would have or could have done this?

Sounds like whoever parkerized the rifle was alittle overzealous with th sandblaster

Comment

Could have used too coarse or aggressive media ,could have had some heavy pitting there someone cleaned up. Worst case maybe it had a crack and was weld repaired and buffed on.Lets see some close up pics of the heel inside and out.

Comment

Could be a welded receiver. Occasionally the name was scrubbed from welded receivers. Supply some up close, IN FOCUS pics of the op rod track, clip latch cut and inside both sides of the receiver.
        Jon

Comment

When you post photos make sure you post a photo of the "drawing number" on the top of the right front receiver leg.

Comment

doesn't look like a weld to me, just guess too stiff of a polishing compound for the rust removal
            Last edited by blackhawkkid308; 03-27-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Need a picture of the op rod track without any grease in it or wash-out from the flash. Natural outdoor lighting will be most helpful.
              Jon

Comment

there is no crack or welded up crack. I am a mechanic by trade so trust me on that. I am not going to take the gun back apart and clean that off again for a pic.

Comment

I can tell by the machine marks inside heel is original machining ,based on pitting I see elsewhere I'd say the heel was heavily pitted because its been heavily polished there.So much that the contour at flat is almost washed out .

Comment

Yes would say that was purposely ground off

Comment

Looks like the receiver and clip latch were black oxide(blued),you can see the marroonish color from salts.
                      Couple options since there is no collector value left,leave it and make it a shooter or ..
                      Couple different companies make templates and can etch the H&R markings off a scan of an original,have it re-parkerized.
                      Or a simple repark will improve appearance.
                      Aluminum oxide blast 150 grit and manganese phosphate will help the pitted appearance.

You can get someone to do an ink pull off an H&R receiver that has nice markings .Cover the heel with inlet black very thin coat and use clear tape over heel logo .Rubb with wood dowel and remove place on white paper .They will scan this and cnc engraver will make a template for etching.
                      Will look very close to original markings.Or you could do a custom heel.
                      Dogfightink is one company that makes them.

Comment

Dogfight ink already has the template ,there is a thread on M14 on how to do the etching.

http://www.dogfightink.com/H&RM1HEAL.jpg

Comment

About 30 years ago Federal Ordnance imported from the Philippines M1 Garands. A lot of the rifles had heavily pitted receivers. Your rifle may be one of these by the look of the pitting. At the same time Fed Ord imported P1917s from the Philippines that were in such bad condition they were torn down for stripped receivers.

Comment

range report, old girl shot about an inch and a half at 50 yards with Korean surplus. 64 year old eyes with trifocals, so she shoots ok. my NM M1A shoots and inch at 50 yards with match ammo with these old eyes and shoots under an inch at a 100 yards with the scope so I will keep the old girl as a good shooter, thanks for all the help

Comment

Glad the rifle shoots well. Look at it as a rescued rifle put back in service.
                              The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                              The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
                              X