"Tips for Tips"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Tips for Tips"

Long story short...Spring 2013 GCA Journal has an article called "Tips for Tips." I finally got around to making some of the rear sight protectors for my rifles. These things were a PITA to cut out to where they looked halfway decent. I ended up making the inside cut a little longer than the recommended 1-1/2"...due to the fact that it was very difficult to get over the rear sight and I was concerned the continuous upward stress placed on the elevation/windage knob might somehow warp the pinion. Now they slide over nice and easy but still enough resistance to keep them on during transport.

Anybody else use these or thought about it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	HRA%20LEAD%20SELL%20085_zpsgv08wdlt.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1757 Click image for larger version

Name:	HRA%20LEAD%20SELL%20086_zpsvcgvls8d.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1758

Wow, that's pretty neat!
    I never would have though about using vinyl tubing for that.
    Thanks for sharing this here.
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

I like it Dave. That's pretty smart and inexpensive.

Comment

Next project! Now how's about the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Pitbulz21 View Post
          Next project! Now how's about the front?
          According to the article, 1/2" ID tubing will slide over the muzzle and an op rod piston, 3/8" ID for the op rod handle. I need to take a couple of front sights with me to Lowes and see what size tubing will work.

I know I can buy front and rear sight covers but I'm a cheap SOB. The more money I save on the extras, the more money I can spend on rifles...I need help.pk1>

Comment

That's just cool, why didn't I think of that?

Comment

I'm picking up some more tubing tomorrow to start "revision -1" of the sight protectors. Anybody on this forum like freebies?

Comment

Originally posted by SFCDave View Post
                I'm picking up some more tubing tomorrow to start "revision -1" of the sight protectors. Anybody on this forum like freebies?
                That would be super cool of you to provide these to our fellow members!
                Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Dave,

In the picture link you sent me to the rifle I saw these and thought how neat. I went to lowes bought some tubing and wallah I made my own. So thanks for sharing. I now don't have to fear my sights bumping up against my other rifles as my safe is over crowded. Should be getting a new safe soon but I'll still use these.
                  Thanks Dave.
                  Regards,
                  Casey

Comment

Working...
                  X