Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading and Gas Plug

Hi all!

I finally made the plunge and purchase a M1 Garand!! Yah! Anyways, If I am loading to spec of 25-2600 psi do I still need a after market gas plug?

Thanks people!

With a lot of combinations of bullet and powder, probably not, and your rifle probably won't cycle either. What kind of loads do you have in mind, and what will you use the rifle for?
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

The load is prob from a reloading book with whatever they say for the spec. I'm going to plink and then hunt with it. I think currently 150 grain with imr4064 at 47gr is the starting point...not sure as I normally reload for my rifle but never for the m1.

Comment

Your load is perfect with 47gr of 4064. My Garand match load is 46gr wuth a 155gr Nosler Custom Comp bullet. In an M1 going much higher is neither needed or recommended. You are fine with that gas plug. 4064, Varget, 4895, and many powders with mid range burn rates are OK. Beware of using the data in most reloading data books. They were written for bolt and modern semi autos and most of the data is using inappropriate powders of excessive loads for your rifle. Find yourself even an older version of the Hornady reloading manual. In it you will find a section dedicated to M1 Garand 30-06 loads. Using that data will never get you in trouble

Comment

Working...
        X