M1 no serial #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 no serial #

Hello, I just acquired my late FIL's MI Garand. I knew he had one packed away but never had a chance to fire it. It looks to be in good shape and chambers rounds properly. I need to give it a good cleaning before I take it out.
    I was doing some research on when it was made and there is no serial # on the back of the receiver. thought maybe it was a replacement or aftermarket? The rest of the rife seems to be a mix of parts.
    thanks

It appears to be a commercial cast receiver. Check left side of receiver for serial number and manufacturer. Please post photo of left side of receiver.

Comment

more than likely a cast commercial CAI receiver

Comment

80% receiver someone built up??

Comment

No such thing as an 80% M1 receiver. It's not like machining an AR chassis.
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
            Jon
            http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/ind.../t-167549.html
            Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

You're digging for that one. Those 80%'ers are NEW. The op didn't inherit a new M1 rifle.
              Jon

Comment

Jon
                You're digging for that one. Those 80%'ers are NEW. The op didn't inherit a new M1 rifle.
                Jon
                You're probably right about the OP not inheriting a new M1 rifle, but I was just pointing out that 80% M1 receivers do exist.

Comment

Jon
                  Not really that new. I found posts on other forums about them that are 10-11 years old. So the OP's father in law could've had one made way back then, and "packed it away" for 10 years.
                  m14brian

Comment

Originally posted by BMS View Post

You're probably right about the OP not inheriting a new M1 rifle, but I was just pointing out that 80% M1 receivers do exist.
                    Do they? That thread is 3 years old and nowhere has such a thing been mentioned anywhere since. Just the fact that it was called a "billet receiver" negates it's existence. "Billet" refers to a receiver made from aluminum. I seriously doubt anyone would be dumn enough to trust an M1 receiver made from bar stock aluminum. But, who knows, there's always the fact that you can't cure stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post

"Billet" refers to a receiver made from aluminum.
                      I only saw an AR receiver compared to the Garand receiver as the only place I saw aluminum mentioned. I know for a fact there are billet steel M14 receivers so it is not only aluminum that billets are made from. One poster there mentioned the M1 Garand 80% receiver as being 8620 steel in that thread.

Other references steel 80% M1 Garand receievers are mentioned-

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...iver-442898277

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/8...442826/&page=1

https://m14forum.com/steel-wood/1145...eceiver-4.html

Was an aluminum M1 Garand "receiver" ever made? Honest question, that would be pretty dumb.

m14brian

Comment

If I remember correctly about 20yrs ago Century Int. was selling M1 Garands built on Danish parts kits and commercial cast receivers. At the same time 80% finished cast steel receivers were being sold in Shotgun News. Speculation at the time was these receivers were "rejects" from the run of cast steel receivers for Century. At the same time "as cast" steel receivers were offered in shotgun news. Again speculation was these steel casting did not meet spec.
                        Last edited by RDS; 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

This is a neat thread from another forum - https://m14forum.com/steel-wood/1145...-receiver.html
                          Iron Worker is also a member here. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Comment

Hello gents , yes more pictures would be nice .Definatly a commercial casting ,It may not even be finished or heat treated . Might have been a dummy rifle .

Comment

• Jersey Devil
                              Jersey Devil commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you very much, Sir!!

There is an important question missing here....how does he document it if BATF comes calling? It's not old enough to not have had a SN. How does he defend having a firearm without a SN?

Comment

Working...
                            X