Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a rear handguard clip tool.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking for a rear handguard clip tool.

    What is the best tool for the best price. I took my rifle apart to clean up the wood, now i need to put it back together and I'm afraid I'm going to break the rear handguard without the proper tool.

    Thanks for the help.
    SH

    #2
    This is the exact set that I use.

    Welcome to the Addiction!

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks JD.
      Let me ask you this; when you install your rear handguard, do you remove the front barrel band to do it? Or do you just snap it on with the barrel band in place?
      Thanks,
      SH

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Srgt. Hulka View Post
        Thanks JD.
        Let me ask you this; when you install your rear handguard, do you remove the front barrel band to do it? Or do you just snap it on with the barrel band in place?
        Thanks,
        SH
        Always remove the front barrel band......aka the lower band............first, or else you run the VERY HIGH risk of snapping the top portion of the rear handguard flange. Many rear handguards are broken in this area due to that issue. Easily avoided my friend. tu1>
        Welcome to the Addiction!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post

          Always remove the front barrel band......aka the lower band............first, or else you run the VERY HIGH risk of snapping the top portion of the rear handguard flange. Many rear handguards are broken in this area due to that issue. Easily avoided my friend. tu1>
          Cool. Thanks JD. Will do it.
          One more question; When I knock out the roll pin holding the lower band on, do I need to replace the roll pin with a new one, or just reuse the existing one?
          Thanks again.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Srgt. Hulka View Post

            Cool. Thanks JD. Will do it.
            One more question; When I knock out the roll pin holding the lower band on, do I need to replace the roll pin with a new one, or just reuse the existing one?
            Thanks again.
            If you want to be 'correct' then yes. Roll pins should never be reused. However, we're not typically going into combat with these things, so I'd say that if the roll pin is deemed as "serviceable" when removed then reuse it. Otherwise replace it!
            I use solid lower band pins almost exclusively these days. If you need a solid lower band pin PM me your address and I'll send you a couple on the house.
            Welcome to the Addiction!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post

              If you want to be 'correct' then yes. Roll pins should never be reused. However, we're not typically going into combat with these things, so I'd say that if the roll pin is deemed as "serviceable" when removed then reuse it. Otherwise replace it!
              I use solid lower band pins almost exclusively these days. If you need a solid lower band pin PM me your address and I'll send you a couple on the house.
              I'll do it. Thanks JD. Sounds like a good spare part to keep in the toolbox. I've been refinishing my stock. I was going to put my rifle back together, but I think I can wait a few more days. That's very nice of you.
              Thanks again. PM on the way.
              SH

              Comment


                #8
                IMO you are better off using the roll pin unless doing a restoration.
                If you use a solid pin you will have to stake it in place or risk it sliding out. If you look at original WWII lower bands you will see how the are ususally chiped/buggered up at the pin hole. This is from repeated removals ,reinstall, staking of the lower band

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have never really had a luck in pushing the handguard on from the front, but that is probably the best way. When I try that way, the legs of the clip want to jump out of the groove for the clip.

                  Danny

                  Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post

                  If you want to be 'correct' then yes. Roll pins should never be reused. However, we're not typically going into combat with these things, so I'd say that if the roll pin is deemed as "serviceable" when removed then reuse it. Otherwise replace it!
                  I use solid lower band pins almost exclusively these days. If you need a solid lower band pin PM me your address and I'll send you a couple on the house.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Danny, I face the rear of the rifle and start the right side of clip first ( this would be the left side as you fire the rifle) Push down on the left side and slide back at the same time. It should slide right on for you.

                    Comment


                    • danny
                      danny commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the hint!

                    #11
                    Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post
                    This is the exact set that I use.
                    I have that one, and it works well enough, but if I had to do it over again, I might buy one made of steel. I found the "slabbed out" handles of it a bit uncomfortable. I would also investigate if a steel one with rounded handles could be found, or at least taking mine and trying to use some of that liquid plastic that you can dip a tool handle in to make rubber/plastic handles on it, somewhat like an M14 Castle Nut Plier. This hasn't been high priority enough to get the materials together to try it.

                    Danny
                    Last edited by danny; 07-26-2015, 03:35 PM.

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Thank you guys for the good info. I appreciate all the help.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X