Meeting California lock/safe requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting California lock/safe requirements

I am in the 10-day wait period for a Garand I just purchased from a private seller. Can I show up at the FFL dealer with my own rifle lock and be 'in compliance' with California law, or must the FFL sell me one of their locks? Unfortunately, my living circumstances are not conducive to having a large gun safe, so I'm looking for any recommended "Garand-appropriate" locks that anyone would suggest I try?

You can show up with your own, if you like. I never had an LGS insist on selling me one, I just signed a safe affidavit - but then agan, I had (and have) a safe!

Since I moved out of that state, I don't have to worry about it anymore. But, I have a safe!

Comment

This will do the job nicely. CMP used to give similar away by sending in a form they sent you with the rifle.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Master-Univer...kAAOSwUUxawvgD

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations. It's insane how much effort and time I spend trying to be 'CA-compliant' with all that comes up related to firearms...it's completely exhausting.

Comment

Originally posted by sdrob18 View Post
          Thank you for the recommendations. It's insane how much effort and time I spend trying to be 'CA-compliant' with all that comes up related to firearms...it's completely exhausting.
          Hear you...We all are in the same boat. I'm sure it's a backdoor design to make people say screw it to owning a gun here, or buying more. Every step of the way is exhausting. It's an endeavor buying a gun now. It was actually easier and less time involved to buy a new car from the dealership, so screw those idiots that say it's too easy to get a gun.
          m14brian

Comment

My most recent purchase (and one of my last for sure) about a week ago-

1. The gun I wanted was discontinued so I had to find a NIB one on Gunbroker.
            2. I had to find a seller that would ship to CA.
            3. I had to find a local FFL that would send a copy of their coveted FFL out.
            4. That FFL would also have to be willing to accept delivery from out of state FFLs.
            5. I had to buy sight unseen from a place I never dealt with.
            5. I had to go to a separate site, create an account, and pay with my credit card.
            6. I then had to contact my local FFL and let them know the deal was complete.
            7. Then I had to email the seller and let them know my local FFL would receive it.
            8. My permit to buy was expired so that was another trip and expense, before I could start the transfer.
            9. I had to pay both transfer, and FFL to FFL fees.
            10. I had to pay CA sales tax on top of it, bought out of state.
            11. I wasted a trip thinking they would start the transfer like they used to with just the S/N from the seller.
            12. I had to make the trip in to start the transfer paperwork.
            13. I had to wait 10 days again, even though I already have several guns in my possession.
            14. I had to make the last trip to sign and date for taking delivery.

15. I had to buy a lock...

This was all for a bolt action rifle.
            m14brian

Comment

Yep - that pretty much mirrors my experience with a private party purchase coming from out of state. How anyone can talk about 'all those buyer loopholes' with a straight face is beyond my comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by m14brian View Post
                My most recent purchase (and one of my last for sure) about a week ago-

1. The gun I wanted was discontinued so I had to find a NIB one on Gunbroker.
                2. I had to find a seller that would ship to CA.
                3. I had to find a local FFL that would send a copy of their coveted FFL out.
                4. That FFL would also have to be willing to accept delivery from out of state FFLs.
                5. I had to buy sight unseen from a place I never dealt with.
                5. I had to go to a separate site, create an account, and pay with my credit card.
                6. I then had to contact my local FFL and let them know the deal was complete.
                7. Then I had to email the seller and let them know my local FFL would receive it.
                8. My permit to buy was expired so that was another trip and expense, before I could start the transfer.
                9. I had to pay both transfer, and FFL to FFL fees.
                10. I had to pay CA sales tax on top of it, bought out of state.
                11. I wasted a trip thinking they would start the transfer like they used to with just the S/N from the seller.
                12. I had to make the trip in to start the transfer paperwork.
                13. I had to wait 10 days again, even though I already have several guns in my possession.
                14. I had to make the last trip to sign and date for taking delivery.

15. I had to buy a lock...

This was all for a bolt action rifle.
                m14brian
                The easiest and cheapest way to buy in CA is to find what you want in stock somewhere. It will most always be cheaper and be far less complicated to just go to Sportsman's Warehouse, LGS or Bass Pro even if the initial purchase price is higher. I recently bought an AR lower from my LGS he had priced at $80. Out the door was $110. I could have bought one at PSA for $50 but out the door after shipping, DROS, FFL fees and tax it would have been $125. Plus the wait for shipping.

Most of what you listed has been in place for several years in CA. None of it is any surprise.

Comment

Yes, Sir you are right. Unfortunately the rifle I wanted was discontinued from FN so there were none in stock in SoCal that I know of. It would've been worlds easier, the biggest hurdle was FFLs didn't know the law and said they weren't sure if they could receive it into CA, or because it was now a LEO sales only item they wouldn't get it for me, and other BS. Thank God it's over.
                  m14brian

Comment

Working...
                  X