Need help identifying this follower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying this follower

I've visited this forum a few times in last couple of years but decided to become a member today. I recently purchased some m-1 carbine and m-1 Garand parts at an estate auction. I have a follower that has a "post" attached to the bottom. See pics. What was it used for? I looked in Poyer and Riesch M1 Garand book but found nothing mentioned. There are no identifying letters, numbers or punch marks. I appreciate any responses, thanks.

With that in an M1 I don't think you could push the follower down far enough to release the op rod catch/bolt. Maybe it was an after market device to serve that purpose for some unknown reason.
    Last edited by lapriester; 04-30-2017, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Wow.....that's completely bizarre and totally new to me. I've never seen anything like it before!!
      Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

In almost 40 years of dealing with the M1 rifle I've never seen that before. There also was nothing like it that I saw at Springfield Armory either.
        Jon

Comment

Thanks for the comments. It is quality job of attachment like it was done professionally. I don't have the experience that some of you do but I've never seen it before either.

Comment

+1 to lapriester, Maybe it was custom fabricated for an instructor, to allow newbies to handle an M1 for familiarity training without the worry of someone getting M1 thumb.
            m14brian

Comment

I have seen these years ago. It was my understanding that they were made to restrict the magazine capacity. I believe you can only load 6 rounds in a clip with this follower. I believe it had to do with amount of rounds allowed to be loaded in a rifle for hunting.

Comment

I posted a picture of this on the CMP Forum. LOL, we'll see if one of the many experts there have any idea what you have here.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209717

Comment

lapriester, thanks for posting on CMP forum. I went over to the CMP forum and read remarks there but my membership is still in the moderation que, whatever that is, and I can't post there yet. FlyJS41 asked if the post is threaded, it is. The depth of thread is for the length of the post which is approximately 9/16". Post is approx. 3/16" square.

Comment

Originally posted by OleRockytop2 View Post
                    lapriester, thanks for posting on CMP forum. I went over to the CMP forum and read remarks there but my membership is still in the moderation que, whatever that is, and I can't post there yet. FlyJS41 asked if the post is threaded, it is. The depth of thread is for the length of the post which is approximately 9/16". Post is approx. 3/16" square.
                    Very cool. My WAG is that it screwed onto one of those component display boards.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
                      I have seen these years ago. It was my understanding that they were made to restrict the magazine capacity. I believe you can only load 6 rounds in a clip with this follower. I believe it had to do with amount of rounds allowed to be loaded in a rifle for hunting.
                      makes sense

Comment

Working...
                      X