Help a newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help a newbie!

I am looking to purchase an M1, I can't decide between a field grade and the cmp special, Any advise would be appreciated

What are your expectations ? What are going to use the rifle for ? Do you care about the historical aspect of a garand ? We need more info from you.

Comment

You're talking about two rifles with huge differences. Your intent for the use of the rifle is critical for anyone giving you advice on your purchase. Based on your question alone it's virtually impossible.

FG: Expect minimum condition based on the CMP description. By mail order you get luck of the draw. Whatever you do don't rely on the pictures people post on the CMP Website. Generally , those are pictures of a very small percentage of nice FG's people get. Few people post pictures of rifles with cracked stocks, dented crowns, poor finishes, badly pitted receivers, worn parts or those that barely can hit the black on a target because of high MW and TE measurements. On FG's you will probably get USGI wood, possibly with mixed wood handguards, but the stock may have loose lockup. Unfortunately, in some cases, CMP has begun assembling FG rifles from left over parts in their many bins of parts. There was a time when a FG rifle had a fairly high probability of having many correct parts still on them. That, these days, would be rare and should not be an expectation.

Special: The CMP description speaks for itself. You know exactly what you will receive the moment you place the order. No luck of the draw business here. You will get a rifle that has been rebuilt with new or like new parts, all parts in full spec, refinished, with a new barrel and new matching Walnut wood. Essentially a new rifle that CMP will guarantee to be fully functional.

If you want something in between, buy a Service Grade. Generally, but not always, they are your best bang for the buck. Mail order luck of the draw is still a factor with a SG.
      Last edited by lapriester; 01-02-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Ipersonally woyuld never take a chance on a mail order Field Grade. I have handled way to many to know what you might receive and still be in the Field Grade description

Comment

Sorry for the lack of info, I want a fully functional rifle that I can shoot, am not looking for a wall hanger, The history part is a bonus, but retaining value and full functionality without have to replace parts is more important to me. My worry was that to buy a field grade and then having to replace parts down the road would be a deterrent. I know that very few are left from what I have read, so don't know value wise what would be best. All they have left online to pick from is the field grade or the CMP special. I am leaning towards the special But a $1000 is straining my budget. Guess you get what you pay for?

Comment

CMP does have a Field Grade special for $830 which was recently listed. It has a new barrel and stock and the parts are reparked. It says in the description that the receiver has considerable pitting above the wood line. The amount of pitting seems to be to only difference between the CMP Special and CMP Field Grade special. The pitting should not affect performance, only aesthetics. That would be something to consider. I guess you are not near a store to look at the rifles (if they even have any in the racks).
            Also, if you do have functioning problems with the rifle after you purchase it, you can return it to CMP and they should repair it.

Comment

Thanks Jak, As I am not really purchasing this for resale or as a investment, I figured for the extra $200 may as well go with the special. Would love to have had an opportunity for the service grade, but guess those are history, I guess I can always get another one if the chance to get a service grade ever comes again. I had a friend that bought a field grade a few months ago, and truthfully it looked like it was in pretty poor shape, he has had a few issues and already has put a few extra dollars to get it functioning properly. I guess he should of sent it to CMP to have it re looked at, don't know why he did not. I guess the special would be considered a replica? I guess I will take a chance on the special, I just am leary if they hold their value? I assume they do as I have seen replicas of the Garand sell for way more. Being my first Garand I just am leary of gambling on a field grade.

Comment

Originally posted by fruitman View Post
                I guess the special would be considered a replica? I guess I will take a chance on the special, I just am leary if they hold their value? I assume they do as I have seen replicas of the Garand sell for way more.
                Personally, I would not consider a CMP special a replica. To me a replica garand would have a non-USGI receiver. Because of the Criterion barrel I would consider the rifle more of a shooter, than a collectable. I think the rifle will hold its value, but may not increase in value, That may depend on how bad the visible pitting is on the receiver.

Comment

• fruitman
                  fruitman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That would be ok with me, guess I got to the game late, would love an all original one, but i want to shoot the heck out of it! I look at all my firearms as an investment only cause it seems prices only go up, so whatever I get now will only be more expensive down the road. Thanks for your input and am crossing my fingers down the road I can pick one up from CMP that is a little less of a gamble!

Specials are by no means "replica" rifles. They should be considered the same quality rifle, even better, that those that went through USGI arsenal rebuilds. New stock, fully in spec parts, new match grade, hand lapped, button rifled Criterion barrel, new authentic, excellent finish. Probably the only exception will be that the stock metal is likely to be new made reproduction parts of high quality manufacture. Essentially you will be getting a new rifle. With a FG you just never know and more than some are willing to say the same applies to some SG rifles. And no, I can almost guarantee you that SG M1's are not a thing of the past. Unfortunately, they won't be coming out of crates as assembled rifles from Greece or elsewhere and graded as SG rifles. What the future, and the present, holds is rifles assembled by CMP from SG quality parts that CMP has collected a ton of over the years. Once this becomes the norm I would expect that the parts market at CMP will be seriously curtailed for the benefit of rifle building because, it's a simple fact, that selling M1's for higher prices (I've heard price increases are in the pipeline very soon) is CMP's best way to make money. It's what buyers still want and SG rifles are their best seller by far. They would sell and sell out quickly again if they raised the prices to $900. Remember that "out of stock" at CMP just means they can't keep up with demand and they need to catch up before allowing more orders. That's the way it's always been and not likely to change any time soon.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I just mailed out my order for the special grade, now to wait! Thanks everyone, eager to get to the range with it!

Comment

Working...
                  X