Gas trap barrel timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas trap barrel timing

Ok, need some input. I've installed many garand barrels and have had no issues. I have angle finders and levels to check and make sure things are true from front to rear. No problems. Enter the two gas trap projects I have completed, a third is in the shadows. (I promise I'm getting close Paul-thank you for being patient.) Both completed rifles require rear sight to be all the way right to shoot dead center. These barrels sure looked straight when I timed them up. Level as I can get. Am I not indexing these things enough? I do not understand what's happening here.

Hmmm.... , it can be difficult to insure a gas trap barrel is indexed properly as the block for the barrel is different from a gas port barrel. You can use an angle finder but it is difficult to get the balance across the slot on the front of the barrel for the angle finder to sit there and read correctly while reading off the flat where the rear sight installs. Also be sure to check both angle finders for zero on a known surface before using them to insure they are reading the same to each other and you can also swap from front to rear while checking the barrel and receiver angles to insure they read the same there also. If the barrel is timed properly it is possible the gas cylinder or front sight may be machined off center a few thousandths which may cause sighting issues. You may try to swap the gas cylinders and front sights one at a time , even the components for your third build, to see if any one part changes your issue. If all else fails or complete frustration ensues , holler and I'll see what I can do to help further. Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul. I'm gonna look at these again and see what I can do. I'll switch some things around. These things are an absolute blast to shoot-my favorites for sure. Not really an issue out to 200 yards with light winds, but further and and a good 3 o'clock wind and I'm in trouble. I'm shooting some 125 TNT with 47.5 H4895 and it's a blast. If I can't diagnose the problem, I'll holler for sure.

Comment

Robert has much more experience and will have more information if needed.

Comment

Working...
        X