Early op rod catch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early op rod catch question

When did they begin using the " later " op rod catch ? Which type is correct for an 11-40 rifle ?

I have some data sheets on 1940 rifles that are suppose to be original.

s/n 39446 early op rod catch. these serial numbers all have the late op rod catch - s/n 46097, s/n 50313, s/n 50107, 53432, 59708, 167583

Comment

late, no lip,in the white

Comment

I believe the lip on the accelerator came into service in mid 1942 on SA op rod catches Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010002_0004.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	37309 Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010003_0005.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	37310 Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010001_0003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	37311

my photos show a A marked op rod catch and A marked accelerator, not common to find

Comment

never saw one with A stamped accelerator and body. Any idea what it stands for?

Comment

I forgot to add that it is a Winchester op rod catch and Winchester used the A and CM steel codes

To my knowledge there are only a few of the double A marked operating rod catches that have surfaced

Comment

Ah, I understand now, thought you meant it was SA , yes I have seen WRA "A" stamped but never double

Comment

In Billy Pyle's book "The Gas Trap Garand" page 109, there is photos of some early SA gas trap era operating rod catches with both a serif A and plain A markings but not related to Winchester.

As his book also points out most accelerators were unmarked but some could be found with the 0 or -0 marking

Comment

Yes I have seen the 0 marking. I have his book ,Ill check it out
                  I sent you a PM
                  Last edited by Orlando; 10-16-2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• RCS
                    RCS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    replied to your email RS
                Working...
                X