revision 2 hammer marked on side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

revision 2 hammer marked on side

The revision 1SA hammer was replaced by the revision 2 SA hammer that was also stamped on the side. This was only for a very short period, finding any original data sheets can be very difficult. I do have a SA 41K restoration and have given some thought to replacing the revision 1SA hammer with a side marked rev 2 SA hammer. The revision 2SA side marked hammer should have been in service around the 41K serial number range.

Any additional information would be appreciated Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010032_0029.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	36997

anyone notice the trigger guard studs or lugs have been sized back to the original round diameter, believe there was a tool for this procedure but not certain if US or European ?

Comment

Never thought a tool for that. Easy enough to just take off and put on a new one. Plentiful at that time.

Comment

Nothing in the Rock Island Shop Manual for 1943 - but maybe two possible reasons for correcting the lugs. 1) lend lease rifles to other countries may not have the steady flow of spare parts. 2) maybe for match rifles that are glass bedded ?

Comment

How early is this hammer? https://imgur.com/a/xYhmEkT
          Attached Files

Comment

From Billy Pyle's book "The Gas Trap Garand" Revision 1 hammers started at around 7000 serial number range lasted until 44,000

you have the second variation as the first variation had the 1 hand added, third variation space after C deleted and last has the SA added

There is also the chance of finding a revision 2 before 44K serial number too

Comment

I’ve actually seen more 9 followers on the loose than side marked -2 hammers.

Comment

Billy Pyle told me there is also a number 10 out there too

Comment

Working...
                X