early Winchester elevation knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early Winchester elevation knob

Years ago when I purchased my three digit Winchester from the CMP auction, Charlie Redfield sent me a few parts to install on my rifle. Besides the early safety , he sent a early elevation knob with the small size "BATTLE". I not not certain where this knob fits into the Winchester sequence but Redfield seemed to know. I have measured this and it is smaller than the standard size BATTLE. To date, I have not seen anymore with the smaller size BATTLE Click image for larger version

Name:	0aaeb6f0-d77d-4b6a-9384-fb9f4be42968_0026.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	36682 Click image for larger version

Name:	6c3e54d2-5497-446f-bc2f-cfb9ac9b5207_0027.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	36683

Those are indeed very early Winchester. Interesting enough, the ones I've seen have the thick flared arrows. I originally thought the thin arrows were first. Apparently not. Early Springfield Modelshop elevation caps have Battle and Range in a smaller font also.

Paul

Comment

Here is a group of elevation knobs, not difficult to spot the small "BATTLE" in a group

Also a photo from the owner of 100,001 showing the top view of the elevation knob, would have been nice to see the side view. It would have been nice for the advanced collectors if additional early photos would become available (s/n 100,180 would have been a good example too) of these early Winchester rifles

Also thanks to Paul for the information on the early elevation small "BATTLE" knob Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2327.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	36728 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3702.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	36729 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Robert, do you have calipers to measure the height and width of the word Battle on the small and large size? Send both of you can.

Comment

Have measured with a dial indicator a few times, total length is .325 inch, believe Charlie Redfield found some early trigger guards with the smaller numbers/letters too.

Comment

Working...
          X