49xxx receiver correct barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

49xxx receiver correct barrel?

Could a 49xxx receiver possibly be correct with a 7-40 barrel or is this receiver to early?
    Last edited by 56hotrod; 05-12-2022, 07:54 PM.

Your serial could have 1) late gas trap barrel 2) S-A 6-40 or S-A 7-40

The S-A 7-40 barrel could be found

Do you have a revision 1 or revision 2 receiver ?

rear anneal color not the best choice

Comment

I was asking because I have already have a 7-40 barrel and no the receiver heal is not annealed.

Comment

RCS i tried to PM you but mailbox is full

Comment

Post your photos here on this website

Comment

I sent them to your email yesterday did they come through? I'll have to post the pictures after work its not working from my phone.

Comment

• RCS
              RCS commented
              Editing a comment
              Did not receive any of your photos ? Robert

It took me long enough but I finally figured out how to post the pictures here. You already have the data on my receiver from the previous owner. But in case its a Rev 1 with no 7th round mod done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	35722

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	35723

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	35724

Comment

Any nice S-A 7-40 barrel is not common to find these days, I would guess your barrel came from California ? You have an interesting question. Could a revision 1 receiver with low guide ribs be found with a gas port barrel at the end of the gas trap production. Paul would have a better opinion but I would say a gas trap barrel was original.

You might as well install the S-A 7-40 barrel because it is very, very difficult to find an original late production gas trap barrel.

Also remember that some receivers with low guide ribs went through rebuild and never had the correction done on the guide ribs (I have two)

Comment

Well I have no desire to even attempt to find an original gas trap barrel or any other gas trap parts. I will set the barrel aside until I come across a more proper 7-40 receiver. Thank you for your insight.

Tom

Comment

You should be able to find a receiver that will complete your project, best choice might be around the early 50K serial number range.

Also found some photos and data that is interesting from your receiver time period: serial number 49797 D 28291-1 production high guide ribs

found this in 2006

Comment

I would love any photos and information. I love learning everything I can about garands especially the early ones. I actually purchased 38936, 41696 and 49155 along with the 7-40 barrel. My email is [email protected] if that is easier. Thank you

Tom

Comment

I do not believe that my email is going to work with your email but posting on here is nice for everyone to look at too.

Your serial number 49155 was first noticed on jouster on May 9th 2005, California collector, very nice receiver for a collector.

I have rifles close to the serial numbers you listed, first is s/n 38494 with a nice S-A 8-41 barrel, rebuild SA GHS stock. It came with a flush nut which I changed to a Type 1 lock bar, op rod is un-cut -1-SA with period parts. I will get additional photos. Second photo is s/n 41159 gas trap Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010055_0052.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	35743 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010054_0051.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	35744 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010035_0030.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	35745

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                        I do not believe that my email is going to work with your email but posting on here is nice for everyone to look at too.
                        That sounds like a good idea. I'll get some pictures taken this weekend and post them up.

Comment

That's a very interesting and early 7-40 barrel. It has the extra circular cut at the gas port pad area. This cut is observed on the 6-40 barrels.

It is possible for your 49xxx receiver to have either a gas port or gas trap barrel. A 6-40 or 7-40 barrel is very possible or maybe even a later barrel as production was very low at this point and nothing was assembled in order. Now if we look at production from a collector's point of view then no it wouldn't be probable to have a gas port barrel on the receiver as everything would be assembled in order with no exceptions but these rifles were never assembled as collector items but as tools of war. Production is not perfect and as parts are revised and updated. Old parts were phased out and used up or modified for use but not discarded unless the part was unsafe to use or, as seen in later production , if the cost of modifying or repairing the part became cost prohibited. A good example of this is the early receivers with low guide ribs. After WWII it was no longer cost effective to repair the low guide ribs on the approximate 50000 early receivers with low guide ribs as there were almost 4 million produced by the end of 1945 so the practice was discontinued. As a note, the only rifles that were assembled serial number order, that I know of, are serial numbers 1 thru 5. These rifles were assembled and tested before the other 75 modelshop rifles were completed in 1934. During production rifles were not assembled in serial number order. There's a picture in Scott Duff’s red book showing stacks of bare receivers in trays waiting to be assembled.

As collectors we want perfection but reality and production isn't perfect. Remember to enjoy the hobby. It's your restoration, build it to suit you.

Paul 'Bubba1'

Comment

Working...
                          X