Gun Show Rear Sight Haul - Short Pinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Show Rear Sight Haul - Short Pinions

Todays gun show paid off quite well. Managed to come home with a real nice pile of parts. One dealer had a whole tray of M1 rear sight parts. I fished out 6 long pinions, 2 SA elevation knobs, 2 WRA elevation knobs, and 2 very legit looking short pinions! Over the years I’ve spent a lot of time studying photos of every verified original short pinion I could find. The original reason was so I could make myself one. At this point I’ve made quite a few short pinions by converting long pinions. The 2 picked up today don’t look like any repro I’ve seen or made myself.

The dealer I got them from doesn’t sell repro parts and I’ve bought a lot from over several years. What he does have a bad habit of is refinishing parts. At shows he usually has a tumbler going with walnut shells to clean up ugly surplus parts. Some times he sells stuff right out of that tumbler. Other times he takes them home and reparks them. I guess he thinks it helps stuff sell. All the pinions I got received the full treatment. Was a little challenging to pick out packed in walnut shell from one of the elevation knob screw holes. But for the price I paid for everything I’m not complaining!

Click image for larger version

Name:	82AC6365-E8A9-49DB-A6AF-3DB9EBAFD4F4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	34165
    Attached Files

The pinions shown next to one of the long pinions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2772156E-D736-4AE6-8870-3A66ED2A71FF.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	34168
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice snag. Looks like when I was hoarding parts from the gun show lol.

Yes, many of the parts are refinished at shows, some to cover up flaws, some because a lot of guys want the brand new look. He might not realize some buyers want the original or patina look.

m14brian

Comment

Nice Haul!!

Comment

Working...
        X