Picked Up Some Decent Early WRA Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked Up Some Decent Early WRA Parts

Hey guys just an update on a little build. As many of you know I live in UK where locating garands is hard enough without looking fo specific serials.

I'm don't have a receiver but like many of my other projects, I am working on gathering the parts first.

I recently received my copy of the GCA in the week running up till Christmas and usually I don't look at the classifieds but I happen to glance this time and I saw a gentleman offering some early Winchester Parts for very good prices . I thought that given the fact that I am in UK and the GCA is produced in the USA, a fellow collectors in the USA would have saw this well before me and snagged them.

I messaged the seller and was surprised to find out that they were still there! He sent me some pics and I decided to take the plunge. I knew there was:

1. No Trap WRA Buttplate and Screws
    2. Flush Nut WRA Sight Set
    3. WRA Milled Stock Ferrule

When I spoke to the seller I discovered that he also had:

4. WRA Single Slot Gas Cylinder Screw
    5. WRA Sling Swivel.

I ordered these items and they arrived at a friend's house. I was delighted to discover that the Elevation and Windage Knobs were both checkered.

I doubt I will be able to find an early WRA receiver, so I may aim to build this on a later WRA receiver to be almost like a replica, similar to my Gas Trap Build.

The other parts I have accumulated are (all WRA):

6. Bolt (No Step) - Demilled
    7. Top Hat Follower
    8. Follower Arm
    9. CM Marked Follower Rod
    10. Operating Rod (Relief Cut)
    11. No Tracks Aperture
    12. Grooved Rear Handguard Clip
    13. Grooved Lower Band

*Have now managed to find numbered 14. A numbered Winchester Narrow Base Gas Cylinder which is coming with 15. Winchester Gas Cylinder Lock. Also picked up 16. Uncut WRA Operating Rod.

Assuming the rifle is within the 100,500 range, can anyone guide me on the correct:

Bullet Guide
    Operating Rod Catch - I'm assuming one marked CM?
    Operating Rod Spring - would it be keyston or later round?
    Rear Sight Base? Marked CM?
    Rear Sight Cover
    Clip Latch

Many thanks!

Scott
    Last edited by Arnhem44mad; 02-23-2022, 03:47 PM.

Wow, Scott! Great parts pick up!!
    Those WRA solid butt plates are indeed RARE......as are those early checkered knobs and caps. So many little gems still floating around out there.
    As a friend of ours says....it's all out there somewhere.
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

So true mate!

Comment

Few more. Seller forgot to send the single slot gas Screw so it's on it's way now.

Scott

Comment

The butt plate is the unicorn of the bunch for sure!
          Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post
            The butt plate is the unicorn of the bunch for sure!
            Cool!! Thank you!😃😎

Scott

Comment

Ironically, I was never going to go for zn esrly Winchester build until one day I saw a member on CMP forum selling an 'SA Grooved Lower Band' for - I think it was $160ish. When I looked at the pictures I knew it was a WRA and the last time I saw one of these for sale was ebay about 4 or 5 years ago and it went for either close to or over $400. That's why when I saw it, I jumped at the opportunity!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Arnhem44mad View Post
                Ironically, I was never going to go for zn esrly Winchester build until one day I saw a member on CMP forum selling an 'SA Grooved Lower Band' for - I think it was $160ish. When I looked at the pictures I knew it was a WRA and the last time I saw one of these for sale was ebay about 4 or 5 years ago and it went for either close to or over $400. That's why when I saw it, I jumped at the opportunity.
                Scott
                Sorry, I was absolutely shattered last night and did not finish the story haha!

After securing the grooved WRA Lower band, I thought it right to search for the other parts gradually. I purchased a grooved Lower Band a little whole layer, and when it arrived I discovered that this too was WRA - Punch mark and milking/machining marks.

With my Gas Trap build, I was actively seeking parts, however with this one and my Win 13 build, if I have spare money or if I spot a bargain, I'll go for maybe a few parts.

Scott

Comment

*Update - 14 , 15. And 16.

Scott
                  Last edited by Arnhem44mad; 02-23-2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Winchester did not use any CM or A marked parts during 1941. Difficult to determine an original Educational Order rifle as you can not go by the serial number as it is doubtful that Winchester produced the first 500 rifles with having any spoilage or rework receivers. Early parts are often marked different as without the W,R.A.

Hope you find something early with a nice logo

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                      Winchester did not use any CM or A marked parts during 1941. Difficult to determine an original Educational Order rifle as you can not go by the serial number as it is doubtful that Winchester produced the first 500 rifles with having any spoilage or rework receivers. Early parts are often marked different as without the W,R.A.

Hope you find something early with a nice logo
                      I've been going by info from this forum and Duff's Blue BoBlue. Are you saying unmarked parts are the way to go ?

Thank you!

Scott

Comment

it would depend on how early the serial number, early three digit would fall into that group. here is a photo of a Winchester Educational Order safety. The parts will have drawing numbers but still different from Springfield drawing numbers Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010009_0007.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	34261

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                          it would depend on how early the serial number, early three digit would fall into that group. here is a photo of a Winchester Educational Order safety. The parts will have drawing numbers but still different from Springfield drawing numbers Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010009_0007.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	34261
                          You need to to separate post on all your knowledge of Winny Educational parts!😉

Scott

Comment

There are more advanced early Winchester collectors with far more knowledge than i can provide. Just have a single example in the high three digit number range

Comment

Working...
                            X