fake gas trap front hand guard ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fake gas trap front hand guard ferrule

These have been faked since the late 80's, some of the early fakes came from a Mr Milton in Ohio. Originals were one piece, all fakes that I have seen are two piece, some being Tig welded on a fixture.
    Best way is to check the inside cone or taper

one original in photo Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018_0017.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	32251 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019_0018.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	32252

Tough choice.
    Want to say far right as it looks like it was stamped from one piece, but the colour looks off a little (being colourblind doesn't help). The middle one is speaking to me though. I pick that one as real.
    If that one was welded, they did a really nice job. First one almost looks like there is a press fit ring, but I like the colour. Made it difficult to choose.

Comment

The middle ferrule is from Ohio, it sold last year on a hand guard (without spacer for $230.00

Comment

Have a repro on a repro handguard.

Scott

Comment

original on far right, these use to sell for $1500.00 but have seen anything for sale in a long time. Paul would current value of the early ferrule

Comment

Is the one on the left

Comment

far left was two piece, tig welded on a fixture and quenched in oil

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                original on far right, these use to sell for $1500.00 but have seen anything for sale in a long time. Paul would current value of the early ferrule
                Dang. Talked myself out of it! At least I originally thought it was the one. More study...

Comment

best way to spot original is by the flange or inside lip, original is short and tapered inside.

most fakers have not really studied an original example

there is place for good fakes if for example you have a Ratwox gas trap rifle, you could replace the ferrule with lip and the front sight with quality fakes.

Comment

Working...
                  X