Convert Tanker back to original configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert Tanker back to original configuration

Hello, I have a very nice, great shooting Tanker with a serial number that places it at August 1940. Seriously considering reverting this back to the original configuration. I have had it about 20 years and have no idea what "kit" was used or when it was converted to a Tanker.
    So with that, other than a new barrel, op rod, stacking swivel and forearm, what pieces will I be looking at?
    I know that CMP and Fulton Armory are options, but does anyone know a gunsmith in the South Carolina (Tenn, NC) area they would recommend for barrel replacement and possibly bolt lapping?
    Thank you.

In my opinion, since your tanker is already a great shooter I would put the money toward purchasing a garand instead of converting the tanker back to a full size garand.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Thanks jak, that certainly is an option.

Comment

I agree, by the time you buy those parts and pay a gunsmith you could almost by a CMP garand

Comment

You would be really lucky to find nice Aug 1940 parts let alone a barrel & no trap stock.

Also need a nice receiver without fresh gray parkerizing and without anneal color

As Rick B. use to say: your two best days with a tanker are the day you buy and the day you sell it !

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice and input. In hindsight, I guess my using the term "original configuration" is very misleading. I have neither the resources or intention to make this as issued in 1940. I just want a full size rifle that looks good and operates without problems.

So with that, I believe I will need:
            • 24" barrel - most likely a new one
            • new stock set - prob from CMP
            • Op Rod - will scour the forums for a good usable one for sale but may have to buy one off Ebay and send it to Columbus Machine Works.
            Any other pieces/parts I am missing?

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate your advice and help since I am a noob.

Comment

You will need the forward wood, your existing buttstock is probably OK, a barrel, and op-rod and spring.
              I would recommend a Criterion barrel, even if it costs a little more, they shoot well.
              You could also send it to the CMP custom shop for the work and replacement parts. They've done fine work for me.
              The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
              The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

New stock from cmp...$157.45. New Criterion barrel from cmp...$199.95. Barrel installation and headspace at cmp....$75.00 with bolt lapping $125.00 Columbus Machine Works op rod check and return shipping $67.00 (no repairs). That's $499.40-$524.40 before sales tax. I really don't know what other parts you would need to buy or replace.

The other thing to think about is that some tankers that were made by various people were welded receivers. If you don't know what a welded receiver is, it occurred when a receiver was demilled by being cut in half and then later someone got the two halves and welded them together...some were ok, some were not. I don't know if CMP would install a barrel on a welded receiver. I'm not saying your receiver has been welded but it is something to think about.

A CMP rack grade special is $750. An Expert Service grade is $1000. Both have new barrels and new stocks. It seems the only difference is cosmetic. You can do mail order or visit the cmp store at Taladaga Marksmanship Park. The CMP south store is closed temporarily. If you decide to go, call first to check inventory.

You are not the first person that wants to convert or build a garand. In your case that is why we were recommending to buy a complete garand.
                Last edited by jak; 11-19-2021, 04:06 PM.
                Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Maybe explain how someone could detect a welded receiver?
                  The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                  The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                    Maybe explain how someone could detect a welded receiver?
                    Post LOTS of pictures, especially of the op rod track, between the legs, and the clip latch channel. The machining won't match. Also the heel (the s/n) and the stampings above the right front receiver leg (drawing # and revision, and heat lot number). They are usually a dead give away as no effort was made to make sure they matched the time frame. The parkerizing will be a different color at the welds due to the differences in the parent materials.
                    Jon

Comment

Thank you all. New Criterion barrel has arrived, waiting on a Op Rod that shows the piston being .525. Meeting with a local shop next week that specializes in M14 and M1 rifles to inspect everything and do the barrel install, headspace, etc.
                      Definitely want them to inspect the receiver to ensure it is good to go. Read up on the welded receivers and compared pictures and I am pretty sure its not welded, but then again, I will let them inspect.
                      If the Op Rod needs to go to Columbus Machine works, then that is what will happen.
                      So I think I am missing the upper front handguard and that should be it.
                      Thanks again everyone, appreciate your input.

Comment

If you need parts contact me, I should have everything you need

Comment

Thank you Orlando, I will. Probably wait until after the parts inspection so I have a clear understanding of what is serviceable and what isnt. (although the tanker shot fine, that really doesnt mean a lot) Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X