Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally...The Beast!

***Finally***
    *Apologies for the top bit which will be obvious to many of you old school collectors. This extract is taken from my Facebook Page: M1 Garand Collectors UK.*

After about four years, countless messages to collectors and enthusiasts both overseas and in UK, I can finally say that I have completed my M1 Gas Trap Rifle.

The Gas Trap (GT) M1 Rifle was the first mass produced version of the M1 'Garand' Rifle. The Gas Cylinder section of the rifle is completely different to that of the Gas Port (GP). All M1 Rifles were built in GT configuration until serial number 51559. Only Springfield Armory produced them and after this serial they switched to the early GP.

Ironically I began to collect parts before I had the actual receiver. Due to the laws in the UK it is much wasier for me to do things this way. After so many years of searching I nearly gave up. I actually found 2x Gas Trap serials in the end!🤣

Almost every part of the rifle is Drawing Numbered or marked in some sort of way. They can be extremely hard to find and due to this there are some repro parts on it. An original GT Cylinder would not fit onto a GP barrel. The only part which does not belong is the barrel which is a post war one. There are 3 other parts which are incorrect:
    No Numbers Short Pinion
    No Numbers Elevation Knob With Open Arrows
    SA GHS stock with Large Cross Cannons.

I have tried but cannot find the appropriate items for this M1. You would not see the Numbers on the Pinion and Elevation Knob, however the stock is blatantly incorrect. This results in the rifle being 96% Correct. The stock cartouche: SA GHS is also later than would have been on it but the colour matches beautifully and this is also a rare piece.

This is the only GT M1 Rifle residing in the UK in a private collection outwith museum collections.

Thanks Gents,

Scott

Comment

Harli the new Boxer puppy approves!😉

Scott
      Attached Files

Comment

As long as the Harli the puppy approves the rifle then I approve.
        Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Scott, That is quite an accomplishment to restore a gas trap rifle in the UK when you consider the laws and that some parts were from the USA.

Comment

Patience can certainly pay off!

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
              Scott, That is quite an accomplishment to restore a gas trap rifle in the UK when you consider the laws and that some parts were from the USA.
              Many thanks mate, really appreciate it!

Hell, all the parts are from the USA technically 😉

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by MRusan View Post
                Patience can certainly pay off!
                True!😃😎

Scott

Comment

I do have an earlier serial arriving later this year so I may do some swapping! Will see how the finish looks!

Scott
                  Last edited by Arnhem44mad; 09-04-2021, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Great job Scott, I love it!! Oh man, Boxers are our favorite dog too. My wife wouldn't care about the rifle, but dang she would love that puppy

Comment

Originally posted by Jmd62 View Post
                      Great job Scott, I love it!! Oh man, Boxers are our favorite dog too. My wife wouldn't care about the rifle, but dang she would love that puppy
                      She's just over 3 months old and she's the best thing we ever bought! Such a clever wee velociraptor!🤣

Scott

Comment

Wow Scott, that is an incredible thing to have the only gas trap in private hands over there, outstanding job! I know building one is no easy undertaking under any circumstances. I'm sure you will find the other parts in time. Congrats on the incredible build bud!
                        m14brian

Comment

Originally posted by m14brian View Post
                          Wow Scott, that is an incredible thing to have the only gas trap in private hands over there, outstanding job! I know building one is no easy undertaking under any circumstances. I'm sure you will find the other parts in time. Congrats on the incredible build bud!
                          m14brian
                          Many thanks bro, much appreciated!😃😎

Scott

Comment

Scott, Did you ever collect Lee Enfields ?

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                              Scott, Did you ever collect Lee Enfields ?
                              Not really mate. I did have one before but sold it.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X