Factory Cut away Gas Traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory Cut away Gas Traps

This was brought up on the cmp forums. Think Rcs mentioned that there were a "few" found. I was just wanting some info on these. Ive heard of at least one before. I didnt realize more then one was found. Were they all in a certain serial number range? Or were they spread out. Were they early or late rifles? Does anyone have pictures they could share of one? Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Kevin

Early GCA Newsletters, there was one found at a military installation on display in Hawaii and another in the states. Too many years have passed without much interest so it is difficult to track down. Could also have been in private collections too. Parts were cut away

Comment

Robert thank you for the info. Ill have to find my early gca stuff. And read up on it. Not sure why this peaked my interest. But I was intrigued by it. But again thank you for sharing some of that info you have. Its always great reading what you have to share. Kevin

Comment

Notice the CMP removed the posting this afternoon about the cut-away gas trap rifles. When I first posted that there were gas trap cut away rifles around some malcontent sent me a private message on the cmp forum with insults concerning the likelihood of finding a gas trap cut-away was just as good as finding a load of gold bars in the street that just fell off a Brinks truck.

I told him to post on the cmp M1 forum so everyone could read his message, this obviously offended the malcontent and he complained to the monitor who removed the entire post

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
          Notice the CMP removed the posting this afternoon about the cut-away gas trap rifles. When I first posted that there were gas trap cut away rifles around some malcontent sent me a private message on the cmp forum with insults concerning the likelihood of finding a gas trap cut-away was just as good as finding a load of gold bars in the street that just fell off a Brinks truck.

I told him to post on the cmp M1 forum so everyone could read his message, this obviously offended the malcontent and he complained to the monitor who removed the entire post
          Some people's children...

Comment

Forward the private message to the moderators. Let them deal with his attitude.

Comment

Ahh the CMP forum. Due to the vastness of the membership it has so much potential...however due to many of the members being 'solely shooters' with the attitude of 'who cares about the history? Shoot it!', and never failing to remind us all of this in every one of their posts...

...it gets a solid 7/10 from me. That being said I have managed to find a lot of parts on it whch without it would never have been possible.

It's a lot more active than this forum, however it's the whole quantity versus quality dilemma. I feel the responses on this forum, although they can be few, are of the highest quality with genuine knowledge and expertise shared, whereas you may get more responses on the cmp forum threads with varying degrees of significance.

Just my views!

Scott

Comment

Tony Pucci had an article with photos on a gas trap cut away in one of his newsletters and the GCA Newsletter also had an article on a cutaway gas trap. An old Winchester collector Wm Blanch also
                reported a gas trap cut away in Florida. I seem to recall all the cut aways were four or five digit serial numbers, none had keystone springs. my friend in NJ told me he saw a cut away gas trap valued just over 6K plus some years ago in his area.

Comment

Robert, I understand were you are coming from. I have tried to assist people with early rifle questions and like you Im normally insulted for my efforts. As you know Ive been collecting and researching anything on early rifles since I was a teenager now 23 years ago. I guess you arent allowed to help unless you have written a book on that forum. But just know that I appreciate all the post you have made to help us further our understanding of these rifles. I still cant find my early gca issues. But Ill have to see if I can get ahold of Anthony again and see if he can offer any help.
                  Up to now I can only say that there was one early rifle in the 6k serial range that sounds like the rifle from the article you mention. The only other information I have got from my questions was that a few more gad traps have been found. No mention of serial numbers on those. But the thoughts on those rifle appears to be that they were built up at a couple rebuild facilities over time for their own use. I havent found any information that SA built a gas trap cut away for use. I have been told that Burt K had one he claimed was a SA example. I was never lucky enough to meet him but do know he had some pretty cool rifles. And a few that are said to be questioned. As I don't collect those type of rifles I will have to leave it as hear say. I would never want to push false info. But I must bring it up due to the claim. But must admit its only a claim from second hand knowledge.
                  Anyway thank you for all information provided. Please try and take care. Kevin

Comment

I have early GCA issues starting with #1, any idea how far back to look?

Comment

I believe its from the winter of 88 from what Ive been told. I hope thats the correct info. Id very much appreciate it if you could look for me. All my older copies are at another house and I would have to tear apart a garage looking for those couple of boxes with them. Thank you. Kevin

Comment

Kevin ,I may not have time to look until the weekend but Ill see if I can find the article

Comment

The early GCA would list an index every few years of the past issues

Comment

This weekend is fine. Thank you fir looking. I very much appreciate it. I got a little more i fo on the issue. Like Robert was saying the info I have is winter of 88 vol 2 number 4. Thats what I have been told. I could be wrong. But Im sure its very close to being right. And thank you again everyone. Kevin

Comment

Found the cut-away gas trap, Volume 2 number 4 Winter 1988 issue. Article by Winchester collector Wm Blanch who saw this gas trap cut away on display at the Ohio Gun Collectors show.

the serial number is 6902 and the later gas cylinder does not appear to be section cut. Owner at time of article was Bob Hill of Carson City NV who told Blanch that this cut away came directly from
                              from a Hawaiian Ordnance.

Now to look for Tony Pucci's article on another cut away gas trap

Comment

Working...
                              X