Short pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short pinion

I am not home and my eyes are not that good so can’t do a comparison. Any chance this short pinion is real? Obviously it has been refinished.
    Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010046_0037.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	30579 Curt, I have found short pinions that were parkerized but most were without finish. Almost looks like too many threads but difficult to tell, even the fakers can machine a tit on the end to look original.

Another question, are we taking alot of money here ? do you know the person selling ? Look at my photos Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010045_0036.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	30578

Comment

Hard to tell but looks good except not sure about the elevation cap. The finish /wear on it doesnt match the rest of sight. Would need to see more pics of it.
      I can use the sight cover if you want to sell it
      Last edited by Orlando; 07-27-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. The price was right to take a chance so I did. Bill, I can use the parts but if the cover doesn't work out I'll let you know. Robert I know that guys are good with fakes, it has that little nub but the threads looked a little long. All the other sights I have had I believe were in the white except for one of the rifles I didn't take completely apart. Just assumed it was refinished because of that. The parts were separate that's probably why the finish doesn't match. He is an old (80's) collector emptying out the parts bin trying to help me out with a project I told him I was working on.

Comment

I have made short pinions out of long pinions years ago and it is always very easy to cut a few extra threads without realizing it and i don't like the windage knob, looks re-cut. but if the price is ok these parts will fit a gap

Comment

I definitely do not like the windage knob. I have to agree with Robert that it's been tampered with. With that said it makes me question the entire group of parts. Now this doesn't mean the pinion is wrong. I've had more rear sight's that I have built up then complete sights that I have bought that way.

Comment

Thanks for the comments... sometimes you take a chance and it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll treat some of the parts as spurious and move on.

Comment

Working...
              X