Unaltered 1940 garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unaltered 1940 garand

Hello all, just found a 12/40 barrel dated garand at the tulsa show yesterday. I thought it was a parts put together, but was later told by a fellow collector it was correct. It has a keystone spring in it. A late gas trap stock and buttplate and is 100% original wear to the dulite finish.
    He told me that there was a strike at the armory and they used the obsolete parts for a few days until it was resolved. Anyone ever read or hear of this in December 1940 ? Gun is sn 166500 plus or minus 10
    Thanks for the response,
    JT
    Attached Files

‚Äč

Comment

This is it on my table at the show, had to put it up people were wanting to handle it too much
      Attached Files

Comment

Lets see pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
          Lets see pictures
          Agreed, but I think he tried posting a few and it somehow got flubbed. Easy to do.

Comment

Just got home, detailed photos tomorrow I promise. Did find out only the round spring manufacturer went on strike not the factory .
            JT

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The color on everything all matches as if it was together for a long long time, the op rod is not right, need a uncut 2

Comment

Has some honest wear. Looks like a couple of parts may have been changed (like that one in the trigger group), but nothing to make you crazy.
                      Date on barrel seems right for that receiver too (based on this chart: https://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html), which is just cool that they remained together and in reasonable shape. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable guys will have comments on what's been swapped out. (Like I'm not sure the early-ish stocks were bored out, but no trap on the buttplate. Little voice says no, but am unsure. I know there was a change at some point, but don't recall what one of the guys said before. Brain drive accessing slowly. They are really sharp on those details.)

Is that crack stable? The stock guys might have a way to get that happy without it being a pain.
                      At any rate, it's overall a cool piece.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the photos! This seems like a really great find! It looks like parts are in better condition than the 1950s dated Garand that I just purchased lol

Comment

Its has some interesting parts but the flat side 9 oprod is a little late.... to be unaltered... need to have a guru look at the spring. thanks for sharing..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0552.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	29179 Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0537.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	29180 Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0536.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	29181 I really don't like that "guru" terminology, you need to count the coils on your operating rod spring and measure the length and post the results here. I know of data concerning rifles with S-A 12-40 dated barrels. Almost all under 174K have -1-SA operating rods unless it is an ancient restoration with a revision 2 operating rod. Never found any data that shows a no trap stock, everything was SA GHS large wheel and without the large wheel. Could have happened from being changed out with another rifle. Most have revision 2 trigger housing but with overlap it is possible to have a -1-SA trigger housing or from being switched with another

Comment

Thanks for your pictures, I did know the 9 op rod was way too late for the rifle. The spring is absolutely real, it is the same count and length as the one in my educational winchester sn 100055. What I meant originally in my post was it was still a ww2 bringback not monkeyed with. I do have a early ghs stock and round spring and could put it back to Cutsheet specs but I think I'll leave it.
                              JT

Comment

Working...
                              X