Numbered Short Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbered Short Pinion

Always love the small details on the early rifles!!
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Jersey you lucky devil, very nice find.

Comment

Very nice early parts. Not many numbered pinions floating around or numbered knobs in decent condition. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I often wonder how many of these numbered pinions have been overlooked throughout the years. Probably not many, but what a thing to overlook if you're not careful.

Comment

I bet Hueygunner has tons of them, seeing you only can see that it's numbered when it's stripped.
          m14brian

Comment

Billy Pyle's book, "The Gas Trap Garand" shows the late C46002 elevating knob on serial number 18032, before this rifles used C 46002

Comment

Oh wow, so mine must be the early version then, correct?

Comment

How early is the serial number range you are working on ?

Comment

It's interesting that a part that was used and numbered for the first 20,000 rifles and unnumbered into the first 500,000 is so hard to find now. Of coursed they were outdated by 1942 and usually changed out in the field or during rebuild .

I have only seen a few of the numbered pinions .

Comment

Robert,
                    The serial number of the receiver that I'd like to restore to gas trap configuration is 20435. Using Mr. Pyle's book, and following the data sheet for 20343, it appears that my receiver is at the upper limit of using the numbered pinion. The receiver has not been annealed and doesn't have the 7th-round modification, so I feel that it's a good receiver to do a restoration on.
                    --Brian

Comment

It sounds like a good choice for restoration (also there is data on 19059 available too, it is in exc condition). Do you plan on using repro gas system/barrel and springs ? I have seen over the years the use of SA GHS stocks (without any visible cartouche left) being converted to look like SPG stocks. An expert like Rick B. could convert the stock to use a no trap butt plate. At one time there were some
                      original SA SPG large over small hole stocks available that were rebuilt into the trap door configuration. I know that s/n 197 was restored with such a stock (this rifle had quite a few original parts when
                      located )and the stock converted back to no trap.

Comment

Robert,
                        I'd like to, of course, find a real gas system, barrel, and springs, but I don't think that's realistic so I guess I'll have to settle for the current production versions. Meanwhile that's pretty interesting about the use of the GHS stocks. I'm pretty fortunate I think that I have this stock to use on 20435. Not sure if the cartouche is real, but it looks the part. If it ends up being a fake stamp then I'm going to try and steam it out. I'd rather have a no-stamp SPG stock than a fake-stamped SPG stock any day. See attached photos and please let me know what you think.

Comment

After the drawing number D28293 was discontinued around 22,000, the non serifed P proof in the circle remained for a short time. Sometime before s/n 28616 you have the serifed P proof in a circle that was used throughout the war years. Difficult to see in the photos of your stock, the trigger guard recess and the holes in the butt stock.

The pistol grip should be rounded which was changed on the later SA SPG stocks with two equal sized holes.

My photos shows an early stock with drawing number and cartouche for you to compare

Comment

Robert,
                            Do you think my SPG stock is too late for 20435 since it lacks the drawing number?
                            Thanks for the info, and for posting photos of that SPG stock of yours.....as always it's VERY NICE!!
                            --Brian

Comment

Working...
                            X