What say Ye, Reproduction or Original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What say Ye, Reproduction or Original?

Im thinking reproduction but wishing for original. Any opinions??

My impression is that it’s a repro. The checkering and screw hole bosses look too cast. Real plates I’ve seen show obvious machine marks on those screw hole bosses.

Comment

An original would have three diamonds at the toe and drawing number, without the drawing number four or five diamonds at the toe

photos show originals. Collectors often measure the distance from the BOTTOM of the top screw hole to the TOP of the bottom screw hole. Fakers get sloppy with the distance and don't care if it is a bad fit. The capital of fake no trap butt plates is NJ. The number was discontinued in the early 20K serial range Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010035_0031_031.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	27576 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1566.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	764.8 KB
ID:	27578
      Attached Files

Comment

3 dots at toe

Comment

Reproduction. The drawing number is wrong. Wrong fonts.

Comment

I seen one on armslist back during the summer and I was going to purchase it just to have a spare. But it was a reproduction. I believe he wanted $500 for it. This is out of a Delfs spoke and a picture of my example
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks I appreciate info. Is the picture of the back of buttplate a original that is yours?

Comment

I checked three original buttplates with the drawing number and found the following:

longer distance between the C - and numbers

the number one is without the serif on top and the last number 2 is a little different`

I would be interested to know the distance in thousands between the bottom of the top hole to the top of the bottom hole

Comment

I gotta get batteries for my calipers, I will report back

Comment

That top one looks like there was a big void filled in.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                      I checked three original buttplates with the drawing number and found the following:

longer distance between the C - and numbers

the number one is without the serif on top and the last number 2 is a little different`

I would be interested to know the distance in thousands between the bottom of the top hole to the top of the bottom hole
                      distance from tom bottom hole to bottom top hole 2.41
                      from bottom of bottom hole to toe 1.00

Comment

• RCS
                        RCS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I did measure some SA & WRA solid butt plates, none were 2.41 but a little longer, none were 1.00 all a little shorter. Your butt plate is close but I do not like the drawing number.

My friend in Ohio said there was a new Rahway butt plate that was very close but they wanted to sell off the older fakes first, very important to screw the collector as much as possible

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                      Thanks I appreciate info. Is the picture of the back of buttplate a original that is yours?
                      Yes it is. It is on my original SPG stock

Comment

Definitely repro.
                        Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Thanks to all

Comment

Working...
                          X