Sept 1940 rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sept 1940 rifle

Some photos of my 80 year old 1940 rifle. Not many SA SPG stocks with two original equal sized holes in the butt, only a short window of five or maybe six months of production. This rifle has a nice bore and should (and did) have a comp spring and keystone spring but only has an original single keystone spring or might be an Oct 1940 ! Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3398.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	25713Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3386.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	25714Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3395.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	25715Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3372.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	25716
    Last edited by RCS; 09-22-2020, 09:24 PM.

some additional photos of the 1940 rifle Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3392.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	25718Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3373.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	25719Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3367.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	25720
    Last edited by RCS; 09-22-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Very, very nice.................

Comment

I am impressed. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Comment

My photo shows the differences between the early SA SPG stocks that have the large over small hole in the butt next to the late SA SPG stocks that have the two equal sized holes. The later SA SPG stock is not common to find and had a short period of production of five or six months in 1940 until the trapdoor SA GHS entered service Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3394.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	25745

Comment

Really outstanding example, Robert.
            Tanks for sharing this with us.
            Do you get out and shoot much? If so, do you shoot any of your collector rifles??
            I know Billy Pyle hosts (or used to host) a gas trap match each year down in TX. Just wondering of you ever attended one of those events or shoot any of your stellar rifles like the one depicted above??
            Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

From the photos above of my sn 63282 you might think the barrel is not that good, but the bore is bright and shinny with a T.E. of 5.0 but the muzzle will take the bullet to the case. If I decide to shoot this rifle, I would remove the keystone and stock and maybe change bolts, Unlike some that brag on the CMP forum that they shoot every rifle they own, I can live without shooting every M1 in my collection. But I would consider shooting this rifle.

I have been invited to shoot at Billy Pyle's shooting matches which also includes sniper matches and shooting full auto weapons provided from collectors.

Comment

The SA SPG no-trap stock starts with the late gas trap rifles. I have a data sheet on s/n 46195 with a late SA SPG stock with two equal sized holes and a data sheet on sn 46097 still with the SA SPG large over small hole butt and serif P proof. Both gas traps 50107 and 50313 have the later SA SPG stocks. The really rare stock to find is the SA GHS trapdoor stock without the crossed cannon stamp, this stock replaced the SA SPG no trap stock and has a very short window of time. It was soon replaced by the SA GHS trapdoor stock with the large crossed cannon stamp.

photo shows three mid 1940 rifle with late SA SPG stocks Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3399.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	25789

Comment

Working...
                X