Gas trap serial # 3481 sold at auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas trap serial # 3481 sold at auction

Roy D. Shirk Auction House Annville Pa sold serial number 3481 from the Smith estate of Palmyra Pa this morning. Auction photos did not show if it had 7 rd. repair, but rifle appeared honest from photos and description. Sold to online bidder from Hurst Texas for $21,500.00 plus 10% buyers premium.
    Last edited by RDS; 09-19-2020, 09:34 AM.

Lot of money but that seems to be in the ball park for these if they are "right" these days, buyer's premium really jacks the price up however. According to Duff's serial number sheet that would be Aug 38 for the receiver. Not far off from 3249 which I have but that one has been rebuilt a couple times. WWII barrel and mostly SA WWII parts but with the later sights and a DAS marked stock. That one came from the old CMP auction in 2000. 3481 would have had all the early numbered parts, rare rifle for sure. Too much $ for me, I will have to make do with my fake Feb 40 GT. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Calfed posted auction photos on CMP forum. Rifle has op rod with relief cut.

Comment

Yep, I just saw the post. Cut op rod, also a comment on that thread that there was no photo of the guide ribs. The SA/SPG mark looks a little too good but what do I know? Maybe this one was a restoration, if so lot of money. Just my opinion.

Comment

Hello it is close to my rifle 3191. All original with 10 40 barrel when it was rebuilt
          JT
          Attached Files

Comment

• olddog
            olddog commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice!!

Also has a fake SPG stamp apparently. Hope the buyer knows all this, lot of money for one that isn't "right".

Comment

Original or substantially Original gas traps range from 20k to 60k depending upon condition, documentation, and any restoration work.

My guess is the rifle is a restoration based soley on the premise that it is one of the first 400 sent to the Marine Corp. and it shows an annealed heel, post war cut op rod, reproduction cartouche, and fake gas cylinder plug. Those rifles were used and rebuilt many times by the Marines. That doesn't mean there isn't value in the rifle. A careful examination and better pics could possibly reveal some original and rare parts.

Comment

I am sure that it is the same guy I knew years ago in the 90's. Ken Smith from Ken's Gun Shop, Palmyra PA. He worked alot on M1 rifles reparking, barrel changes etc

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                I am sure that it is the same guy I knew years ago in the 90's. Ken Smith from Ken's Gun Shop, Palmyra PA. He worked alot on M1 rifles reparking, barrel changes etc
                Robert you are correct the (6) M1 Garands including serial number 3481 in the auction came from the estate of Ken Smith. Ken passed away about 2 years ago at age 83.

Comment

I read your assessments and comments on the CMP forum. I knew Ken (only as a dealer) as I would would stop buy his table and look at his wares and talk Garands while I was stationed at Carlisle. He always had a some interesting stuff.

Comment

Did you the read the post I made this morning on the CMP forum? Ken was always a straight shooter in all the dealings I had with him.
                    Last edited by RDS; 09-23-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, I read Bubba’s and your response. I am not where my files are at but I was at an auction in Gettysburg in ether 2002 or 2005/6 where 3 gas traps were sold. 1 was complete and 2 were partial restorations (almost complete), I wonder if one of those were his rifle? I believe he was there, I expect maybe you or someone on the forum was there.

Comment

Here's a handy link to the conversation over on the CMP Forum: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=269371

Some great discussion, knowledge, and info sharing on this rifle. Maybe the new owner will show up here and discuss it further with us!
                        Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

The rifle is for sale again. It is listed in the latest edition of the GCA magazine. $38,000.00

Comment

Working...
                          X