Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas Trap? on the CMP Marketplace

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gas Trap? on the CMP Marketplace

    This just came up for sale, $6K. Said to be a mix of real, repro, incorrect parts. Interested to see what others think. The pictures are very small PB and I at least can't see much, there is a data sheet but can't make much of anything out on that too. I could see the op rod is a 6 and the no trap stock has the tiny ord. wheel on the bottom of the pistol grip so has been converted from a later trap stock. The GC assembly doesn't look right but again I can't tell. I did not see a reference to the serial either, maybe I missed it in the PB pics. Just curious what folks think. Looked again, serial is 174xx.
    Last edited by Nodak71; 09-15-2020, 11:08 AM.

    #2
    Collectors with little knowledge and lots of money are turned-on by lower price of the fake gas trap rifles. Alot of fake gas traps have sold in the 5K to 10K price range with a slim chance of having any original key parts such as barrel, springs or wood.

    Years ago Rock Island Auction sold a gas trap rifle serial number 1605 for $9775.00 and stated it was restored by Scott Duff in 1998. The receiver has the electro pencil rebuild mark and the barrel, gas cylinder, springs and rear sight pinion and flush nut are reproductions. The stock was original but re-stamped with a fake SA SPG cartouche. the rifle has been professionally restored with a new parkerized finish too.

    Now there is serial number 1607 which was sent to Winchester in 1938 to test, being the first M1 sent to Winchester. Alot of information in Canfields book and SRS about this rifle's history. This rifle was returned to Springfield and rebuilt with a gas port barrel dated SA 4-41 and mixture of early and newer parts, plus original finish. There is no way you could even get half the price that serial number 1605 sold for at the Rock Island auction.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Nodak71 View Post
      This just came up for sale, $6K. Said to be a mix of real, repro, incorrect parts. Interested to see what others think. The pictures are very small PB and I at least can't see much, there is a data sheet but can't make much of anything out on that too. I could see the op rod is a 6 and the no trap stock has the tiny ord. wheel on the bottom of the pistol grip so has been converted from a later trap stock. The GC assembly doesn't look right but again I can't tell. I did not see a reference to the serial either, maybe I missed it in the PB pics. Just curious what folks think. Looked again, serial is 174xx.
      He listed this rifle last month on CMP forum twice in one day and both times the ad was removed quickly.

      Comment


        #4
        It's gone again, this afternoon the ad said it was listed on GB along with a link.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Nodak71 View Post
          It's gone again, this afternoon the ad said it was listed on GB along with a link.
          Is it this one?
          https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879536688

          If so, what's up with a slant-cut -6 op rod? Funny business there. Also, that follower rod is not SA.....
          Welcome to the Addiction!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post

            Is it this one?
            https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879536688

            If so, what's up with a slant-cut -6 op rod? Funny business there. Also, that follower rod is not SA.....
            I hadn't seen the better pictures before, that -6 rod has had the handle ground to look like a slant cut rod, have never ever seen that before. Bubba posted on the CMP Forum that this is a display piece. Barrel is marked "Repro", not sure but I can see what looks like a casting line on the gas cylinder too. I seem to remember years ago hearing about GT kits that were for display and couldn't be fired, this was back in the 90s. The stock is obviously a GAW or NFR that has been modified to look like a no trap SPG. Probably still a lot of money in that one. Original parts are tough to find as we know, think this was done years ago.

            Comment


              #7
              There was at one time over 20 years ago repro gas gas cylinders that were marketed that were non shootable. I can not remember who marketed them. Maybe Buba or RCS can shed some light on this.

              Comment


                #8
                Giacobbe use to sell fake gas trap kits and you had to sign a non shooting statement as neither the barrel or gas cylinder would stand the pressure. Sooner or later I am sure some fool might try and shoot it

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have a handful of repro / non-shooter gas trap cylinders in my "deep six" box to add to the artificial reef program off the Jersey coast. I'd rather send them to the bottom of the ocean than risk someone shooting them one day and blowing their face off.
                  Welcome to the Addiction!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post
                    I'd rather send them to the bottom of the ocean
                    Do you have a permit for that activity, Sir?? I may have to get a conservation officer or something...
                    m14brian

                    Comment

                  Working...
                  X