Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beautiful November 1940 SA Barrelled Receiver coming up on CMP auction next week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful November 1940 SA Barrelled Receiver coming up on CMP auction next week.

Stunning SA 80633 with what appears to be original 10-40 barrel. Low TE/MW barrel, mint crown. No chrome on pad; appears to be in the white. I can't imagine a better way to start a premium early gas port build! I'm sure this will be way out of my price range. I hope someone with deep pockets can restore this. Auction Listing 6191
    SA M1 Garand Barreled Receiver 80633 SA M1 Garand Barreled Receiver 80633 Produced by Springfield Armory with the approximate date of November of 1940. Muzzle Reading 1+ Throat Reading 3+ Bore is bright Origanal Finish and Barrel Barrel marked 10-40 All photos can be viewed here. SOLD AS
    Last edited by gmcassidy; 09-12-2020, 10:46 PM.

I’ve got all the parts just need a receiver. Maybe this is a better way to go.

Comment

Curt, hope you can get it, these CMP auctions get wild and expensive now

Comment

• RCS
        RCS commented
        Editing a comment
        the nice part of buying a firearm from the CMP Auction is that they pay the shipping (Fed Ex) to your door

I see this one sold for $1778 last night. I know Coltgrabber over on the CMP forum said he was going to bid on it, wonder if he got it or someone else. Nice project for someone but won't be cheap to finish.

Comment

Some guys do have most of the parts and some will just start a project only to sell it off in a year or two. I found this out about ten years ago when the CMP had a number of Winchester Educational Order receivers on auction, so called collectors would run the bids to 4K on a receiver yet did not know what parts/wood was required others could not pay for the won receiver and they would hold it for 30 days for them. What I did not like was a 3K or 4K receiver with anneal color.

I do have a S-A 10-40 barrel in really nice condition with a T.E. of 1.0 that I got from "Mac", he also included a matching numbered gas cylinder with sight seal

Comment

Robert, thanks for the words of encouragement, I didn’t get it. It got to pricey for my needs. I only needed the receiver as I have a 10-40 barrel. I was recently offered a 90k but it had been annealed. I didn’t make it to the OGCA but there an 88k rifle but my friend was suspect of the finish. I think eventually I’ll find a reasonable receiver in the OCT/Nov/Dec range. I’ve got lots a things going on so I’m not really pushing very hard now.

Comment

I have restored 86,7xx with an 11-40 bbl. The bbl was good externally, but the bore, while shinny was worn to .303 from .300. A .303 pin gage would drop thru the entire length. End was counterbored to .312. I bought the barrel from ebay a few years ago, for $150.00 and I was happy to get it. I had missed one at $900.

it is in a very descent and correct stock that I got from old Bob in Ct, when he was threatening to burn his entire remaining collection of Garand Stocks.

A long soak in the tub with tide for 12 hours twice, raised the dents and removed the ground in dirt and oil. It had a nearly invisible crack in the wrist area, since repaired. Probably used as a club in my estimation, "over there".

I ended up with a good to great Garand Stock. The Finish has darkened to that rich walnut color over the years, as they do and while it does not appear to be brand new, it looks authentic, as they should.

The rest of the correct parts were purchased over the years, and the receiver appears not be to annealed, and the finish is very very good garand dark; and while I have not shot it, the hs is correct. NO keystone spring or follower rod....it has the short fork rod.I do have an uncut -1 op rod on the gun. I have an uncut -2 on an early 1941 restoration that I believe is correct for both guns.
            It shows pretty well in the lineup.
            Last edited by Redleg; 11-10-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Years ago I also restored a 88K serial range with a S-A 11-40 barrel, always difficult to find a nice 11-40 barrel while 12-40 barrels were common to find (for me)

I did use a SA GHS stock without a cartouche rather then stamp a fake cartouche. There were some faked 11-40 barrels around a few years ago, easy to spot as
              the number 4 was open on top on the date. My S-A 11 40 barrel had a dark bore even after shooting.

Comment

Working...
              X