SN 14K Gas Trap Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SN 14K Gas Trap Restoration

With the help of a special person, and with luck finding donor rifles on GB, I am restoring an SN 14K gas trap.

NOTE: The use of the term "original" means USGI, not reproduction part. This rifle began as a receiver.

All parts other than those discussed as reproduction or modified are "original" - USGI, not reproduction. That includes the barrel, gas cylinder, trigger group components, etc.

The following are comments on the rifle:

1. Receiver has undergone the 7th round mod. If I can find the appropriate non-modified receiver (September 1939), I will switch the parts.

2. Keystone springs are reproduction - shootable ones. I may find real ones, but may not want to afford them. I will never shoot with original springs. Crazy I may be, but not that crazy.

3. Op rod is correct but cut. I may get an uncut version, but will keep the cut one for shooting.

4. No gas trap front handguard ferrule. I have a repro, but am hoping to find a real one. Not overly optimistic.

5. I believe that the buttplate is original (not a repro), based on feedback from this forum and from a incredibly knowledgeable individual.

6. The SA/SPG stock and handguards have part numbers. I have some pictures but the numbers are ghosts or almost ghosts.

I plan to shoot this rifle, thus the acceptance of repro keystone springs and the cut oprod. If I get too paranoid I may put a WRA op rod on for looks and shooting.

This is a dream that has come true.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rifle Right Side.jpg Views:	0 Size:	483.6 KB ID:	25331Click image for larger version  Name:	Stock - Cartouche.jpg Views:	0 Size:	464.0 KB ID:	25330Click image for larger version  Name:	Receiver Info.jpg Views:	0 Size:	414.1 KB ID:	25332Click image for larger version  Name:	Op Rod and Comp Spring.jpg Views:	0 Size:	724.3 KB ID:	25333
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MilCollector; 08-27-2020, 09:52 PM.

Nice project, stock is quite rare, you were very fortunate. The repro springs really work nice, years ago the repros were too stiff and junk. All these gas trap parts were difficult to find ten or fifteen years ago and more so now. The dash 0 bottom marked op rods were around but all were modified, I did get a nice one from Dave McClain years ago (photo). You may find a receiver without
    the 7th mod but prices have gone up. Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010029_0029.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	25339

Comment

Thanks for all the pictures. Do you have a picture of the barrel markings?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010013_0014.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	25344Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010012_0013.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	25345Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010011_0012.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	25343 Photos of gas trap barrel drawing number and other details are enclosed

The drawing numbers of barrels around the 14K serial were D28286 with heat lots J14, J-15-A or J-16-A. Around the 20K serial range the drawing number changed to D-28286

Comment

Originally posted by milgunsguy View Post
          Thanks for all the pictures. Do you have a picture of the barrel markings?
          Top of Barrel - Part Number D28286, Heat Lot J-14-F

Click image for larger version  Name:	Barrel Markings #1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.9 KB ID:	25348

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barrel Markings #1 - Detail.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	25355
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MilCollector; 08-28-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

how long in inches is the groove for the hand guard clip on the left side of the barrel ? Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010006_0007.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	25357

Comment

• MilCollector
              MilCollector commented
              Editing a comment
              The barrel picture was taken prior to assembling the stock and gas system. If it is important I can disassemble the rifle, but am concerned about the potential to damage the rear handguard.
          Working...
          X