Schuster Mfg. Faux Gas Trap Gas Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schuster Mfg. Faux Gas Trap Gas Cylinder

Schuster Mfg. has their faux gas trap gas cylinders back in stock. Price is $690.00 with free shipping. They were not available for several months. I ordered one this morning.

I am building a replica Gas Trap in UK and manages to get some from this company which had a small hole in the bottom where the machining went to deep and was able to get this one for $300!

Scott

Comment

Mine arrived in the mail today. It looks good. Installation was easy. It's a nice tight fit with no wobble.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
        Mine arrived in the mail today. It looks good. Installation was easy. It's a nice tight fit with no wobble.
        Hi RDS.

Regarding the Schudter one; I don't have posession of it yet but would this fit on an M1 rifle with post gas trap barrel which also has the front Handguard with lip on ferrule?

Thanks!

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott
          Mine is set up per the Schuster instructions as I intend to shoot it. The gas cylinder screws onto the barrel just like a gas cylinder lock does on the gas port barrel. On my rifle it is up against my handguard ferrule. My handguard ferrule is the later type with out the lip. The Schuster faux gas cylinder will work on your non shooting rifle with a gas port barrel and lipped handguard ferrule. Just screw on the gas cylinder till you have clearance at ferrule and the slot for front sight aligns up with top slot in barrel. The front sight has a long tail that locks into the top slot of the barrel. On my rifle the threads were tight and the slot was tight, so I have no slop in the fit. How far are you along with your build?
          Rich
          Last edited by RDS; 08-09-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Hi mate thank you very much for that info!

Well mate I have nearly every part of a Gas Trap Rifle except for barrel and receiver and buttstock. I live in the UK and can only collect decativated M1 Rifles.

I did sit with Billy Pyle's The Gas Trap Garand and dated all the parts and if I eventually find a deactivated Gas Trap Receiver I will post a list and create a data sheet for it.

Basically I have:

Repro Front Handguard with repro liner and ferrule with lip
            Repro Rear Handguard
            Repro Schuster Gas Cylinder
            Repro Type 1 Follower Rod
            Repro Keystone Spring Set
            Repro Buttplate but I recent traded a Lend Lease bolt for an Original no trap plate but it's an interesting one which I don't think is correct for Gas Trap.

Every other part I have is original. The operating rod is a 1-SA with relief cut, rear sight pinion and cap are not numbered, neither is the short pinion. Every part is numbered or is of early origin. I have 2x differently numbered Grooved Lower Bands. 3x Grooved lower bands.

I do need to change the Hammer Spring Housing, I think, to one which is in the white.

I did have a buttstock which I was going to use for the project but I am a moron and can no longer use it.

Cheers!

Scott

Comment

Oh I also have a 1903 buttscrew as according to the Billy Pyle book this is what they used as the original butt screw. And a numbered sling Swivel which I am led to believe us rather rare!

Scott

Comment

Working...
              X