Wra educational contract on cnp auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wra educational contract on cnp auction

WRA 100184 just opened up on the CMP auction this morning. It is already at $5K! RCS pointed out the early rifles were Dulite finish, this receiver looks like the light park seen on later rifles so appears to have been refinished. The heel has also been anealed. Duff's data sheet book only shows 100001 which was retained by WRA, it has a square wire op spring, 100184 has the standard round wire. The big thing is the beautiful WRA stock is the later GHD with the trap instead of the original RS no trap. Still a VERY RARE rifle! I am guessing maybe private donation as the source? I posted about it over there but posted again here.

https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...fle-WRA-100184

Click image for larger version  Name:	2d7b513f-a1b6-447a-b734-b08d56444d51_0031.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.2 KB ID:	24580 Last year Winchester s/n 100,180 was purchased at Tulsa, only missing a few parts. I have been tracking the Winchester three digit receivers from the CMP auctions since around 2010, most sell for between 4k and 5K and with rear anneal color. Best thing to do with the CMP auction WRA 100,184 is just keep it as it is - a CMP put together - just gets a little expensive to collect. It is very difficult to duplicate the original 1941 DuLite color. My 100931 has the DuLite color. i have since found a DuLite windage knob
    Last edited by RCS; 07-06-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

The DuLite finish on your rifle really jumps out when you look at it, the one on the auction has obviously been refinished, the correct RS stock is going to be really tough to locate also. I was wondering if this was one just built in the shop at Anniston or if someone had put it together then donated it. Still a very rare rifle.
      Last edited by Nodak71; 07-06-2020, 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

About 15 years ago I did volunteer work at CMP Anniston for a week. I was there with another volunteer. Our job was to go through crates of garands and verify that the serial numbers listed on the outside of the crates matched the serial numbers of the garands inside the crates. Then those s/n were compared to the master list of the returned garand. The garands were returned from Paraguay. They were all Winchesters, IHC's and HRA"s...no Springfields. One of those garands was an Winchester Educational Rifle. We called the foreman over and he was like a kid in a candy store. I don't remember the s/n of that rifle but I believe it was lower than this one. I also remember the foreman examining the garand and saying that were still some original parts on it. The rifle overall was in very good shape considering that a majority of the returned garands were pitted, rusty, missing stocks and barrels and parts.

Comment

The WRA RS no trap stock is also very important on early rifles. The WRA RS is more like a Springfield and without the notch in the trigger guard recess. I would think there are more fakes than original stocks around. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010041.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	24585Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010043.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	24586

Comment

It's a fascinating rifle for sure. I'd love to know the story behind it. Some very desirable parts on it to say the least, and that heel stamp is spectacular!!
            Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Do you think it was just like the photos show ? or did it have some restoration help. Like Dave McClain pointed out, no drawing number on the receiver

Comment

The no drawing number is really strange, did it just not get stamped I wonder? No telling what sort of things could have happened, the rifles were being built to win the war and no thought to collectors 80 years later. I had actually missed the fact of the missing drawing number at first. As far as parts being added that is one thing we don't know unless someone on the inside would chime in.

Comment

serial number 100,184 had the serial number stamped on Dec 7, 1940

I think you could find more receivers without the drawings number and also with low guide ribs
                  Last edited by RCS; 07-12-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X