S/N 9348 barreled Receiver on CMP auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S/N 9348 barreled Receiver on CMP auction

It comes with a 1-41 barrel and 7th round mod.

https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...-Receiver-9348

This could be a direct conversion, could be a nice restoration with a early rebuilt stock. locating a SA GHS stock is not likely.

Was there chrome on the gas port area ?

Comment

Doesn’t appear to be chromed.

Comment

Rest of the pictures.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...1hajNaMXpnTTln

Comment

I think it is worth the price so far, someone will will bid high and build a fake gas trap and sell off the barrel. It would be nice to complete it as a direct conversion

In Jan 1941, the drawing numbers changed on the barrels: some are D35448-4, D-35448-4 and D-35448-7 all heat lots are REP

Comment

Barrel is D-35448-4 according to the auction info. This is staying together, the barrel won't be sold off.

Comment

Sold for $1751.00.

Comment

Yes, $1751, seems like a lot for a B/R but what is that barrel worth? Large wheel GHS stock will be good on it.

Comment

The barrel and receiver appear to be an original direct conversion from gas trap to gas port, this is important to early collectors. Large or small wheel SA GHS is not likely to happen unless someone has one put away. There are SA GHS stocks around that went though rebuilds and no longer with cartouche or maybe a barnwood stock from Rick Borecky that was converted to trapdoor.

Mac had alot of data on direct conversions and quite a few had S-A 7-40, S-A 8-40 dated barrels from his data collection

Also import is that your buying it from the CMP and hope it is not put together

Comment

I also hope the CMP didn't put this barrel on, like everything from them you don't know for sure. I have a large wheel GHS I have had for a number of years that is going on it. I have some of the early parts but most would be from the 41 time period. A project for sure. Will see how it turns out I guess.

Comment

Phenomenal example in my opinion. I would have been a player in that game if I didn't have so many irons in the fire. Glad to see it's going to a great home. Let me know if I can help with any parts. BTW one of my irons in the fire is still that bare receiver I got from you....
                      Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

I had built up a rifle about 25 years ago from a bare receiver using a 10-41 barrel in an effort to recreate one of these direct conversions. Some years back I sold that one on the CMP forum. I shouldn't have let the -0 op rod go with it. I decided this might be a better one as a possible original example of the B/R from one of these rifles. I have some of the parts from the time of original manufacture but not many. I have the large wheel GHS stock along with the correct number gas cylinder and I think I have the -1 bolt that would work for this. Other parts tie in with the 1941 time frame but not with the receiver manufacture date of March 39. Does anyone have any idea if these conversions used many of the original parts except for the gas trap parts and any others that might have been worn, broken, or whatever? This will be a slow project I think. I have to get the B/R first. Not sure why I keep doing these projects. First a 8-40 GP, then a "fake" gas trap, now this one. Keeps me out of the bar I guess.

Comment

There is an excellent article on "direct conversions" in the GCA Newsletter Vol 10 No 2 1996 by Bruce Canfield. Canfield states that the early conversions have the majority of early parts not directly related to the gas system conversion. This rebuilding/conversion was done at SA before 1941. We know from recent articles on early gas port rifles that stocks had also been modified during late 1940 too. Billy Pyle once told me that sometimes only the front end was changed - nothing else on the early direct conversions

The next group of conversions according to Canfield have practically all SA 1941 dated barrels, many being dated in the first quarter of 1941 and new production SA GHS stocks were used rather than modified early stocks. Canfield states " a hallmark of these early conversions is the presence of numbered parts not normally found on 1941 vintage production m1's."

Canfield considers these conversions to be a legitimate M1 variant

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the old article, found it in my copy from back then. Looks like I will need to look for some more of the numbered parts from the receiver time.

Comment

Nodak71, how is your s/n 9348 "direct conversion" project - any new photos yet

Comment

Working...
                              X