very early windage and elevation sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very early windage and elevation sights

I may have posted these before but still nice to look at especially the fine checkering patterns, your camera has to be just right to capture the image. i do not remember where these early sight knobs came from ? I didn't buy them or trade for them, they had to be on rifles. These sight knobs are on serial number 1607 and think they may be too early ? if so, I will replace them. Any opinions ? Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1064.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	742.4 KB
ID:	24375Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1991.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	742.2 KB
ID:	24376Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1993.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	736.0 KB
ID:	24377

Great pix of great parts, Robert!
    Too early is far better than too late, right!? From the research that I did on these parts, I believe there was quite a lot of overlap. Some say those early small open arrows are limited to only the first thousand or so rifles, but I'm sure there was overlap even in the starting days.
    Can you share other parts on this rifle? Love the early ones, of course
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

The time period for the sight knobs is not really important. Photos show rifle and parts. Canfield's book "The M1 Garand Rifle" plus Billy Pyle's "The Garand Stand Report" both have alot of information on this rifle. Winchester did alot of testing as this was the first M1 rifle sent to them in 1938, this rifle was returned and rebuilt Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1705.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	774.8 KB
ID:	24492Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1726.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	773.5 KB
ID:	24493Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1728.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	24494Click image for larger version