early gas cylinder lock screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early gas cylinder lock screws

Some years ago I posted on this forum about the early gas cylinder lock screws. Years ago I was buying some early 1903 parts from a company (S&S) in NY and discovered they had a few M1 rifle parts. I bought some single slot gas cylinder lock screws for $10 each, they had been stored for years but original. They had five more left and I bought the rest of them. It was not until I took some photos, that I realized that two of these screws did not have the taper. The taper on the screw was authorized in mid 1941 but as to how long it took to change production is not known. I think these are not common to find. Note in my photos the Winchester screws Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0980.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	749.3 KB
ID:	23749Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0979.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	713.4 KB
ID:	23750Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0870.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	782.2 KB
ID:	23751

Nice examples

Comment

I consider these early variations to be rare especially the Dulite color and the screws without a taper on the thread. I think most of these were contractor supplied ? Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0868.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	772.9 KB
ID:	23772

Comment

There were only two parts that Winchester was allowed to sub-contract on early Winchester m1 Rifles, per contract. The gas cylinder lock screw was not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pederson View Post
          There were only two parts that Winchester was allowed to sub-contract on early Winchester m1 Rifles, per contract. The gas cylinder lock screw was not one of them.
          Interesting, what were the two parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post

Interesting, what were the two parts?
            A pair of springs...and the subcontractors were explicitly defined. The test wasn't to see if Winchester could have someone else produce the rifle, the test was to see IF Winchester could produce the rifle.

Comment

I could be wrong, but thought the Winchester front sight screw was a subcontractor part ?

Comment

Could have been later. Above I referenced early WRA rifles. In the first production contract only two parts were listed as option for subcontract. The comp spring and op rod spring.

Comment

Fascinating! I have to check my stash!!
                  Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Working...
                  X