Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New M1 Garand August 1941. All original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New M1 Garand August 1941. All original?

I just picked up my first M1 Garand and have been researching the different serial and part numbers on each piece. Unless I'm wrong, every piece seems to be original with correct numbers for the year of manufacture. Although not sure on the stock as it appears to have been sanded and no longer has the cartouche's on the left side. It still has the P behind the grip but is slightly worn. Also curious what the 69 stamped inside the fore grip means (see pic).

OP rod is uncut and the rear sights have the flush nut on the windage knob. I didnt have a gauge with me so I did the poor man's method to check the muzzle. About 1/4 inch of jacket showing.

Curious if anyone knows if this is a legit Lend Lease rifle as it has the markings on the barrel. Can anyone confirm if those are correct for a Lend Lease? The serial number of 325169 puts it in that time frame.

Everything functions flawlessly now just waiting to shoot it. Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to the Garand scene.

More pics..

Comment

Even more pics..

Comment

I have data sheets on Lend Lease rifles from your serial number range, both with BNP and London proofs all barrels are S-A 8-41. A few photos of the front of the bolt and receiver ring plus any cartouche would help. Your stock appears to have been refinished. The follower should be unmarked and the gas cylinder lock is post WW2. Could not get a good view of the sight cover, is there a code ?

Comment

Thanks for the info! The bolt lug and receiver ring both appear to be faintly stamped. The follower is unmarked and the cartouche on the left side is gone, I'm assuming from the stock being refinished. The only marking is the P by the grip. The rear sight cover had a B stamped near the edge. Markings should be visible in attached photos. Thanks again!

Comment

Your parts all look correct unless i missed something, too bad someone really sanded down that expensive stock. Note the receiver overhang in the 4th photo.

Your rifle is a Lend Lease with London proofs but has the value reduced by the stock. Finding the correct stock with the SA GHS cartouche is very expensive and very difficult
            Last edited by RCS; 03-27-2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Well that's good to hear on the parts being correct. I intend to keep it for a very long time so hopefully the value will eventually go up to at least a reasonable price. I hear the rear sights themselves are a decent selling point.

I'll keep an eye out for the stock but have a feeling itll be awhile or never. I'm sure you guys get tired of these "what do I have" posts but they're greatly appreciated especially for us first time buyers! Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Unless you can check the rear sight parts such as the short pinion and flush nut, you are assuming these parts are original to your rifle when you buy it. Fake short pinions and flush nuts have been around for years and can be bought on the internet. An original short pinion and flush nut can sell for over $400.00 and some sellers could replace these parts with fakes.

Comment

Working...
                X