early barrel with British proofs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early barrel with British proofs

I have posted this photo of the S-A 8-40 barrel with the London proof stamps a number of times on different forums but never a photo of the receiver. I have since found an old photo showing the receiver. Someone had used a white filler to show the markings, this came as a barreled receiver a long time ago when British proofs were not high on the collectors list Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010023_1_0019_019.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	23088Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018_0014.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	23089

What's your thoughts on it mate?

does it have any evidence of red paint. I'm always wary of how many early ones pre 300K may have been used for LL.

Scott

Comment

Scott, no red paint, i doubt it is even a Lend Lease rifle. I have an old friend in NJ who has an excellent condition Winchester model 1917 with the red band.

It is not beyond the fakers to paint something with red paint but there is a way to detect this - all lend lease period red paint was lead based and a testing kit from
      the local hardware store can be used to test for lead. I have a friend in Maine that has used these kit for red band testing

Comment

Have you ever run into a clear fake, Scott?

Comment

Yes, there have been rifles that had been repainted with a red band from the east coast

Comment

Working...
          X