New Garand November 1941 Lend Lease M1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Garand November 1941 Lend Lease M1.

Never in my life did I think I would get to see one of these in person, let have own one in my collection. This M1 is a special breed. I was offered this on Sunday through a phone call from a friend and declined as I am on the hunt for a M1 serial between 1 - 100,000. On Tuesday Night i contacted the seller and asked if he still had it and said I would like to see some pics. He sent me 4. One of serial number, one of barrel date, one of left did for rear sight and one of right side of rear sight. I noticed straight away that it had flush nut sights and so decided to take a gamble. I was not disappointed!!

When I first opened the box up i noticed the black finish on the trigger housing (Sunkorite) and the amount of cosmoline present. I already knew it had a Novrmber 1941 barrel and knurled Windage Knob with flush nut sights (a rarity) however did not realise that it has a checkered elevation cap too.

On inspecting the actual rifle itself I noticed the large amount of area covered with a black coating (Sunkorite) on the outaide components. It has the narrow base gas cylinder with front site seal, another rarity. The Single Slot Gas Screw is original.

The Buttstock sadly is post war Italian but appears to have a Wartime butt plate. The rear Handguard matches the buttstock but the front Handguard is much darker. The rear Handguard Clip should be grooved but is not but I can replace that. *I do have a spare original British Lend Lease stock which I plan to mount in the rifle.*

I then noticed the early bolt with British Crown stamp as well as crown stamp on top of receiver above chamber. The lower half of the stock was off and I noticed that the bullet guide was missing!🤔 All the internals were absolutely caked in cosmoline but the finish is beautiful. It has an uncut SA 3 Operating Rod (yet another rare piece). SA short follower rod. Follower marked 8 and pre/early war operating rod catch. Rounded Clip Latch and arched lower band.

This is the prime piece in my collection as these are rarer than gas trap serial M1s as there are 51,000 of them compared to the 38,001 British Lend Lease. It is worth noting the rare fact that this M1 came to Britain from USA, left Britain and then has come back again! if anyone wants pics or a data sheet made just ask.

Thank you! Scott
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arnhem44mad; 02-06-2020, 08:10 PM.

Just curious, are these hard to find in Scottland? These rifles are not "rare" in the US.

Comment

Well as the majority of British Lend Lease were sent back over to the USA to have one which has come to Britain, left Britain and then come back again and is still in the original configuration of what it was like as issued except for Stock and missing bullet guide, yes they are extremely rare. I have never seen another in the UK.

It is extremely difficult to locate to locate an M1 which has never been altered or through an arsenal rebuild in the UK.

I think another factor is the history of the idea that these Garands were in the care of Britain and are yet again in the same care.

Cheers mate.

Scott

Comment

Congrats! They are special, aren't they - there is just something about flushnut sights with checkered knobs and sight seals!

I remember years ago when I first read that page in Scott Duff's red book about the LL return rifles- here in the States back then the LL rifles were kind of looked down upon as 'imports'. But I was already bitten by the 'early' bug and was amazed at that sentiment - how could an arguably completely original and often almost unfired AND early rifle be undesirable to anyone who loves these!? But the old guys were adamant that these were second tier or less and they were on the hunt for original rifles without those pesky import stamps, and LL rifles could be had for 500 or so which was really not much of a premium!

Maybe not all that oddly, as time went on and more newer young guys like me started in the hobby, the LL rifles began to get recognized for what they are - which is just about the best chance for the average guy to get an early original rifle in absolutely excellent condition - and prices started to go up. In time, some of the newer folks unfortunately started to look for the British proof marks, but the less practiced began to see them almost as proof of originality which of course it isn't (but it is so hard to put together an early rifle that it didn't harm them all that much). The proof marks are provenance, though, and a fascinating part of the history of the Garand.

I'll let someone else tell you the story of Sam Cummings and how they managed to get back to the States, Scott. But then maybe you already know that part of the story, ...

Best all. Here's a pic for fun;

Comment

Thanks for your reply mate much appreciated! Do you have one yourself?

I'm not sure I know the Sam Cummings story mate?😁

Scott

Comment

I don't have a LL but Dec. 1941 Garand, heres few pics

Last edited by Orlando; 02-07-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Orlando those are beautiful pics mate tha¡nk you!

the last 2 I'm the valve pist don't show up for me unfortunately

Scott

Comment

Here are some research notes on Sam Cummings for you;

The official Wikipedia entry;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Cummings

His obituary from 1998;

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/05/w...and-scale.html

And some of his handiwork that we may trip across still (in addition to the odd LL Garand from time to time);

https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...body-seen-this

(and the pic of the flushnut is from my LL, so yes Scott I do!)

Comment

Thank you mate!

I just made a new thread in the garand section of this forum about BLLs please let me know your thoughts!

Scott

Comment

Comment

Beautiful mate

Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X