New Garand - December 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Garand - December 1941

So...just bought another M1 (Will technically be my 10th) but I have sold 4 in my lifetime so will be my 6th! But have sold an October 1944 to fund this one so it goes back to being nunber 5 haha!😁 This one is a December 1941 with serial number 409115. I already have a March 1941 which I have restored to 100% correct as issued parts except for the barrel which is welded to the receiver. In my country semi autos are banned unless you have a very hard to get license.

With the history of December 7th 1941 being a very poignant date for the United States of America and the rest of the world I have decided that I would use this serial to create my project of an M1 Gas Trap (GT) Rifle representation. In my country GT serials are extremely rare except for in museums. I know of two below 100K in private collections but I've been trying to find them with no avail. I have almost every part of an GT Rifle (nunbered and '0' marked parts) and knew that I would never be able to find a rifle with GT barrel and so I decided to make an early gas port. My intention was to have a GT serial with all original GT parts minus the gas cylinder which will be early numbered gas port. However due to the scarceness of GT serials I have decided finish a Gas Port cylinder serial. The Handguards and no trap butt plate are also going to be repro.

i am searching for a repro Gas Trap buttstock to complete this project. I will keep you all informed on the project!

Thank you for reading!

*I should explain that I am aware this is not in the Gas Trap range but Gas Trap serials are extremely hard to find in my country!

Scott
    Last edited by Arnhem44mad; 11-27-2019, 07:48 PM.

Scott
    Since you have taken the time and expense to collect early parts why not purchase a receiver or rifle in the gas trap serial range. You need to find a receiver or a rifle serial numbered below 51559. I take it your in Europe and I understand that it will not be as easy as it is here in the states. Good luck with your project and post photos if you can.

Comment

Check some data that might be of interest: s/n 406782 has Lend lease (BNP) stamped barrel dated S-A 11-41, s/n 406440 has Lend Lease barrel (London) S-A 11-41. All the bolts are D28282-2SA heat lot RE4D with round firing pins. Stocks are all SA GHS

Comment

Here is my December 1941 https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...er-1941-garand

Comment

Ok so here she is. December 1941 SA.

I stripped her so I could check for wartime parts and give her a good clean and was not disappointed or left unamused πŸ˜‚

A previous owner (not the one before me as he's a good guy) has used silicon in just about every area you could think of that movesπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I removed all of that rubbish in preparation for the oiling and greasing.

Among the parts were:

Winchester Repeating Arms (WRA) Narrow base cylinder with rounded rear ring (missing stacking swivel and screw)
          WRA gas cylinder lock
          WIN 13 Op Rod Catch
          WRA bolt
          Possible WRA front and rear handguards
          Barrel which is post war is Winchester 1967 (thanks to James Hughes for the info)

SA Flash Hider
          SA 14 Trigger Guard
          SA 2 Hammer
          SA 11 Safety
          SA Rounded Clip Latch
          SA 11 Follower
          SA Bullet Guide with raised S markings
          SA Trigger Guard
          Possible SA Trigger

IHC Op Rod
          Possible IHC Follower Arm

Post ww2 stock with squared proof stamp and post war Buttplate.
          Possible early SA front site.
          SA rear sight base rear sight cover, aperture, lower band and rear handguard clip (which broke πŸ˜‚)

Had to pop out. Will continue with the cleaning and greasing tonight before I start the Gas Trap conversion/restoration.

Scott ​
          p

Comment

Hey everyone. The rifle is demilled and receiver and barrel welded together and barrel cut so that it cannot be fired.

barrel is unfortunately post war as stated above bit will look for markings on receiver!

Scott

Comment

If it does turn out to have Lend Lease markings I may turn this into a Lend Lease example. Of course it will never be true Lend Lease again but is would be fun to restore!

Scott

Comment

Hey guys sadly no markings that I can see. The nafkinfs on it are deactivation markings from a British proof house.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191127_194935.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.72 MB ID:	22173

Comment

Originally posted by Arnhem44mad View Post
                  Ok so here she is. December 1941 SA.

Had to pop out. Will continue with the cleaning and greasing tonight before I start the Gas Trap conversion/restoration.
                  Sir, your rifle is not in the gas trap range, the serial is much to late .

Comment

I know bud please see amended post!

Scott

Comment

Scott
                      Can you please explain what had to be done to your M1 to make it so it could not be able to fire. In this country we refer to this type of weapon as a "dewat". In the USA to be classified a dewat the chambers has to be welded shut, a portion of the receiver ring has to removed and the barrel weld to the receiver ring in that area.

Comment

Hi mate I did an introductory pist this year and explained What I collected but here's a basic description:

These rifles are referred to as 'Deactivated to UK Old Spec (Rifles deactivated in UK up until mid 1995).

A basic description of the pre 1995 deactivation process is:

1. Barrels welded to Receiver

2. Barrels blocked (sometimes not full length of barrel) by either:
                        A) A vertical pin
                        B) Several vertical pins
                        C) A steel rod
                        D) A mix of the above
                        E) I have observed some with only a soft blockage in the barrel e.g. wax paper.

3. Barrels can be (but are not always) cut from underneath with a slit running from chamber to under front handguard.

4. Bolt can be:
                        A) Cut at 45 Degree angle at bolt face but still with during pin.
                        B) Cut at 45 Degree angle at bolt face without firing pin.
                        C) Have firing pin removed only
                        D) Have firing pin removed and firing pin hole welded closed at bolt face.
                        E) Have front if Bolt face shaved down to eliminate full face.
                        F) Cut on underside of bolt as well as bolt face being shaved off.
                        G) Have full bolt although this is very rare.

5. Operating Rods:
                        A) Cut at end at 45 Degree angle
                        B) Cut at end an with an inch cut running from piston downwards on the underside of the rod.
                        C) Uncut

6. Trigger groups.
                        A) Often nothing is done to the trigger groups, however I did have one which had:
                        B) A cut in the hole in which the trigger pin sits, Small cut in the bottom of trigger housing, shall cut in hammer at top. These did nothing to the actual action of the weapon.

Thanks, Scott

Comment

Scott
                          Thank you for the info. We are very fortunate here in the US to own fully functional weapons. Have you had a chance to live fire an a M1 Garand? Are there any types rifles you are allowed to own that are not deactivated and still capable of live fire?

Comment

There are some collectors or shooters that have straight pull M1 rifles and M1 carbines in the UK. The barrels are manufactured without a gas port. They talk about these weapons on other websites

Comment

RCS is correct. Or you can own bolt action rifles with an easy to get license. There is a section 5 license which is basically a license to own anything, however you need a commercial reason to have these!

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X