Repro Gas Trap Buttstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repro Gas Trap Buttstock

Is there such a thing as a repro gas trap buttstock?

I have a repro set of hanfguards for my project but am unsure what a tepro buttstock looks like. Does anyone have one I could get pics of?

Thank you!

Scott
    Last edited by Arnhem44mad; 11-02-2019, 05:01 AM.

Most collectors used the SA GHS stocks that no longer had a visible cartouche, these were converted to use the solid butt plate by removing about 3/16 inch to 1/4 inch off the butt to clean up this area for the solid butt plate. The converted stock will be shorter. Now some wood workers have a thin end grain piece of walnut sort of a spacer to use to keep the stock length correct then install the solid butt plate which requires care to inlet the curved toe or as Rick B. calls it the 'birds head". The reason for using the SA GHS stock is because of the long channel. This conversion would be appropriate for a rifle with two equal sized holes and a no trap butt plate.

Many years ago there was a man that made a few model shop stocks for the M1 rifle and did excellent work but died long ago. There was also a very short run of Winchester no trap stocks made by one of the commercial venders but required a lot of work on the butt plate and these were all short channel stocks.

Best choice is a SA GHS stock without cartouche but keep in mind the early large over small hole stocks had an almost round top edge on the pistol grip that is not on the SA GHS stock

Comment

I actually have an original lend lease SA GHS stock which was sadly sporterised before I got it.

I am currently having it restored but don't think I would want to muck about with this any more than it already has been.

Thanks for info mate!

Scott

Comment

Does the solid butt plate use the same 2 screw that the hunger one does.

Scott

Comment

The solid butt plate uses the same screws as the trapdoor butt plate - but the top screw used the narrow slotted head which would not fit the screwdriver on the combination tool until changed in Dec 1941. The long screw had the drawing number on the early gas trap rifles ‚Äč

Comment

I will attempt to post a photo or two
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you!

Scott

Comment

A numbered long screw is actually the only piece of the puzzle I have yet to find

Scott

Comment

I maybe able to help

Comment

Ok another question guys (I apologise).

I managed to find a repro No Trap Butt Plate from a very kind member here. My questions are:

A) why would a no trap plate not fit onto a post gas trap stock?

B) Will a standard short screw fit into the no trap repro plate? I think someone answered this above but I got a little side tracked by the comment on the combo tool (again apologies).

C) Will I need to change the hole position foe the screwa on the stock I'm planning to use (Original USGI ww2 with faint unreadable cartouche)

D) in relation to (A) will I have to cut the stock down to fit the no trap plate on?

Thank you!

Scott

Comment

A) the solid butt plate has a curved toe and narrow edge around the entire outside will not fit

B) Yes, short screw fits both types

C) If the repro solid butt plate has the correct distance between screw holes it will fit, otherwise you will have to drill a larger size bottom hole and angle the long screw downward and hope it will thread onto the butt swivel

D) yes, the no trap or solid butt plate will not fit - but the trapdoor butt plate will fit the no trap stock with a gap at the toe (photos) Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	21754Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	21755

Comment

Thanks brilliant thank you mate!

Scott

Comment

A piece of advice, take it or leave it, but I would suggest that you don't make any alterations to the stock until you get all the pieces of the puzzle in front of you. Only after you've selected the exact parts you're ging to use for your display would I make any alterations. Just my two cents.....take it or leave it.
                          Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Thank you mate I appreciate the advice. Once I have all the bits I will photograph and explain intentions.

Thanks!

Scott

Comment

I have one of those large hole, over small hole buttplate "gap", converted stocks; I am not using it on anything as they also shortened the long throat to short throat.

The large hole had a spacer installed to bush the large hole smaller, and the small hole was obviously drilled larger, but so that you could see the original size at the bottom. I once posted a pic of it on the M1 forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X