Gas trap barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas trap barrel

I hate to do this, but my chances of getting an original gas trap barrel are much slimmer than an original gas trap cylinder.
    Who makes a good after market gas trap barrel ?
    i have a chance at getting a CBI barrel and I would like for this receiver to start to take shape.

thank you
    andy
    Happy Memorial Day

Finding an original gas trap barrel twenty five or thirty years ago was extremely difficult.

Comment

I know. That's why asked about the CBI barrel. How are they? Are there any other remanufactured gas trap barrels for sale?
      thank you
      andy

Comment

Roland Beaver had made some gas trap barrels from blanks year ago but has since retired. The gas port barrel can be cut back with a sleeve on the front threaded for the screw on gas cylinder, later
        post war barrels are better to use, the groove for the hand guard clip will be longer than the original barrel. Some barrels were made in Calif a few years ago along with numbered cylinders but people attempt to sell the fake stuff for original. The CBI is your best choice,or you might find a Rat kit around for 2K or more

Comment

Thank you.is CBI a good barrel? I'm not sure what the barrel gauge is that? It is currently on a receiver? He wants 250 for it.
          good price or not?
          Thank you
          Last edited by GUNHEEP; 05-28-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

CBI ( Criterion ) barrels are great barrels. They have a good profile and very well made. Criterion bought machinery from the government , and refurbished it, that was used in the original manufacture of M1 Garand barrels. They do put their markings down the right side of the barrel and can be seen with the op rod retracted. I wish they would put their markings on the left or top but that's OK. Barnett barrels are also a very good barrels, if you can find them . Gene made his barrels from Douglas blanks but he hasn't made any for a long time, he's retired now. Those markings are generally on top of the barrel. Every now and then some show back up. There are others out there as Robert spoke of but Criterion is the most common ones today.
            If the barrel indexes well and it headspaces 250 is a good and fair price.

Paul "Bubba"

Comment

the gas trap barrels have a shorter groove for the rear hand guard band on the left side than the gas port barrels, exception being Winchester barrels.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X