A pair of S-A 7-40 barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pair of S-A 7-40 barrel

Two mid 1940 rifles with S-A 7-40 barrels, keystone springs and SA SPG no trap stocks Click image for larger version

Name:	ifv7zp.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	19778

Same 1940 rifles showing the stocks Click image for larger version

Name:	14wx3a.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	19780
    Attached Files

Comment

Love the early stuff, thanks for sharing

Comment

Absolutely beautiful. My 1940 has an 8-43 barrel on it.

Comment

Wow! What a phenomenal pair of rifles!!!
          Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

I had the 51K for a long time. The 48K had a S-A 12-40 barrel and a single keystone spring on the round body follower rod until I located another S-A 7-40 barrel. Both S-A 7-40 barrels are without any chrome around the gas port and have exc bores. The stocks have not been modified and are original no-trap -
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow, those are amazing. Thanks for posting

Comment

As always thank you for sharing...

Comment

I have only found one other S-A 8-40 barrel with London Proof stamps, the data sheet came from the GCA records. It is a direct conversion s/n 7860. I have not found a barrel with either the London or Birmingham proofs dated before Aug 1940. Also found anoth conversion s/n 8907 with a S-A 8-40 bbl with British proofs ‚Äč

Comment

Robert, what data sheets do you have that display the round body follower rods with the single keystone spring?
                    Last edited by Moorem1s; 04-26-2020, 04:44 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

If you have a specific serial serial number or two it might be better. Like Duff stated in his book sometime in late Sept or early Oct 1940 the round body follower arm and keystone spring were in production. This started with sn 79115 the "FDR" rifle, Duff also listed sn 89934 with the round body follower rod and keystone. I found data on sn 95024 with SA 12-40 barrel

and comp spring and keystone spring being reported as original. There is not alot of data in this period. Starting with serial number 100,000 to around 189209, all the data sheets indicate the round body follower rod. Most of the springs are single keystone but there are some late springs mixed in the data

Comment

Thanks Robert. I am interested in gas trap conversions with mid 40k serials with 10-12 1940 barrels.

Comment

Interesting, would the only change be the barrel/gas cylinder and a new stock with the 10-12 40 barrel?

Comment

Springfield Armory switched to the gas port barrel undated, in May of 1940. They started to date them in late June , 1940. You have a very rare & beautiful example of an early gas port M1.
                            The GCA newsletter stated about 25 years ago that the May & June Barrels were undated, & dating barrels started in July 1940. Apparently new information has surfaced since then to indicate that the dating of barrels started in June 1940. My thanks to RCS for his picture of a June 1940 barrel, dated.
                            Last edited by GarandGuy; 06-13-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Springfield started dating the gas port barrels in June 1940 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2118.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	738.4 KB
ID:	24124

Comment

Working...
                              X