Nice Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Surprise

I found the ghost of a SA NFR and ordnance wheel on the stock of my late 1940 Garand as I was cleaning it last night. This rifle came from the CMP in March and this is the stock it came with. It was very dark with just the RIA FK cartouche visible. I'm in the process of correcting this rifle and I still need a barrel, correct stock, unmodified oprod, flush nut rear sight aside from the cover and elevation knob, and some internals. I have a correct bolt, follower rod and spring, gas cylinder assembly, a correct oprod, but modified and needing reworked, correct rear sight cover and elevation knob, and complete trigger group. Lots of time and patience going into this, but I feel that it is worth it. If anyone has correct components and wishes to contact me about helping me out, feel free to do so. I would like to thank bubba1, Paul, for the help he has provided so far, as well as Brian in NJ.Click image for larger version  Name:	20190511_003622.jpg Views:	1 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	19753
    Attached Files
    Last edited by IndianaRR; 05-11-2019, 07:53 PM.

That flush-nut assembly is going to be VERY expen$ive. I've seen them sell for $800-plus. Correcting early rifles is costly.
    Jon

Comment

You mention that you have the "elevation knob," but is it the windage knob, or elevation cap? Both should be checkered.

I have checkered elevation caps and the correct unmarked, no-rib cover. As for the base, arguably you could use a later base although an early un-numbered base would be cooler. That I only have a couple of for my restorations, but Bubba likely can help with literally everything you need.
      Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Yeah, I meant elevation cap, its checkered and came from Bubba with a follower rod and cover. Still need a checkered windage knob. The cover I got from him is an unmarked no rib. The rear sight on it right now is a type 2 lockbar that I swapped onto it when I got it. It is indeed expensive, but I'm set on not using any repro parts on the rifle. I have several shooter Garands, I felt this one deserved the chance to be returned to its former glory.

Comment

Okay cool. That cover is correct. I have a windage knob if you need one. Did that T2 sight come from me?
          Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Yes, it would be. It was great learning hands on installing a T2 sight. It indexed nicely and has crisp adjustments, locks up tight. It's a good filler until I'm able to get a flush nut assembly. I'm interested in the checkered windage knob.

Comment

Personally, I could live with the T2 rear sight. Remember, there was a field expediency work order that went out to have the Flush-nut and type 1 (lock bar and short pinion) sights replaced with T2 due to 1) difficulty with the adjustment on the flush-nut, and 2) the lock bars falling off of the short pinion on the type 1 (if that's how they're referenced).
              I have an SA in the 826xxx range. Technically, it should have a type 1 (lock bar and short pinion) but it has a type 2. Checkered e-cap and knurled w-knob. Again, I can live with it due to the afore mentioned work order.
              Jon

Comment

Very nice. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                X