Uncommon Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncommon Barrel

I know I'm not the only one who thinks finding early 1941 barrels are harder than 1940 gas port barrels. This rare bird showed up on my doorstep today!

Super excited for this restoration!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_41 Barrel.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	19664
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Very cool. It's those late '41 barrels I can't seem to locate

Comment

• Jersey Devil
      Jersey Devil commented
      Editing a comment
      Two more days, my friend......

Very difficult to find a S-A 1-41 bbl, I once had two S-A 2-41 bbls. This barrel is on my 216130 with SA GHS stock, also a revision 2 operating rod Click image for larger version

Name:	2viplqq.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	19671

Comment

I have two Rev. 2 operating rods, both of which are unmodified. I believe one of them may look nice on the receiver I'm planning on using for my restoration. I'll dig them out tonight and see what they look like all together. I just hope that whichever bolt I choose will headspace safely once all mated up.

Comment

Originally posted by BMS View Post
        I have two Rev. 2 operating rods, both of which are unmodified. I believe one of them may look nice on the receiver I'm planning on using for my restoration. I'll dig them out tonight and see what they look like all together. I just hope that whichever bolt I choose will headspace safely once all mated up.
        I've never seen a Rev 2 op rod. I've seen Rev 0's and Rev 1's on this forum and you can still find Rev 3's for sale, but never a Rev 2. Mind posting a picture when you get a chance?

Comment

Photo from my SA 216130 rifle Click image for larger version

Name:	2qnb03l.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	19723

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
            Photo from my SA 216130 rifle Click image for larger version

Name:	2qnb03l.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	19723
            Very nice! Thanks for posting.

Comment

That is really cool BMS.

Here is another one for you; OGCA many years ago

​​

​​

It was found without its correct stock and oprod but straight other than that. Pete, who first found it, had a prefect stock to put on it and I just happened to have the oprod (that I thought I would never use!). They both look perfect.

​​

Yes it still had its original keystone w/type 2 rod and everything when it was found. You want a real knee slapper, if you ever meet me in person ask me to tell you the story (this sat on the table for sale for the whole weekend at OGCA and nobody really looked at it - and then, ... what Pete actually paid when he bought it, ... ).

If that is not cool enough though, the barrel is also swaged to adjust indexing. I have never seen another rifle like it.

​​
              Last edited by Bodyman; 05-11-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Phenomenal post, Jeff! What a rifle, indeed!!

I sure would love to hear the story one day. I'll have to come visit you and buy you a cup of coffee. Man the stories you serious collectors have are just awesome!!

Comment

It really is all still out there - keep your eyes open and keep rattling the bushes. Heck, last year alone 2 double keystone Winchesters turned up, one is even an EO!!

There was another cool pretty early SA that just turned up - everyone complains about the shows nowadays but last fall the little brother to 179,900 was found - not keystones, but a straight. very low 200k non-Lend Lease rifle. It was just sitting on a table all morning at one of those shows that folks grumble it isn't as good as it used to be - it is all there and pretty much right as rain and in great condition, and again, a bargain (as in, less than a grand, ...).

I'll just give you one tease of it because I only have a few crummy pics but this is another super cool rifle, and it just turned up.

Seriously, it really is all still out there.

Last edited by Bodyman; 05-12-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Yep, stuff is still appearing from collectors hordes/estate sales.

I just picked up an uncut -1 op rod last week (ebay), to complete my 11-40 restoration. I had picked up a 11-40 bbl in good condition the month before, (ebay). Both items were under $400. I took off the temp 11-41 bbl that the gun wore.

I already had the small post war cut, -1 op rod on that 86xxx restoration.
                    A few years ago, I had picked up small post war cut, -1 and cut -2 op rods on GB, $250/ea.

I have a 247xxx restoration, complete with 3/41 bbl from GB, and the -2 cut op rod (GB), and 259xxx restoration w 5-41 bbl (GB) and uncut -3 op rod.
                    Both guns wear long throat stocks I got from old Bob in Ct, for not much $$, that needed soakings and restoration. The bbls were quite reasonable as I recall.
                    Bob swore that he would burn the stocks if no one purchased them.

Keep searching everyday.

Last edited by Redleg; 05-13-2019, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X