Got one of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one of these?

Anybody got one of these? I just thought it was cool.

Probably should have been on the WWII forum, but, oh well.

Comment

I know I don’t and would love to find one. Great score!

Comment

The back of the last page is pretty cool, too - it is a measured drawing that tells you how to build the display stand.

Comment

What is the dimensions of the manual?

Comment

Probably about 32" to 36" by maybe 40"

Comment

That is one heck of a nice find!

Comment

That's way cool!
                m14brian

Comment

I got it off of ebay or gunbroker a few years ago. Honestly, I don't think I paid all that much for it, like, 35 or 40 bucks, shipped.

Every once in a while (when I am broke mostly, which was always far too often and definitely not a good way to be in this hobby, ...) I will get into looking at accessories or Garand associated stuff and find a whole new area that is just cool as all get out (and much cheaper to play with). Like when I started finding all the variations of bore reflectors and just laughed at how many there actually were; brass. steel, long, short, ribbed or flat sided, different makers ... Every time I went to a show I would find another one, and I would just shake my head, laugh, and take out my wallet.

Then I was talking to a buddy that was still in the Corps at the time and he sent me a plastic one that was like the short ones and said that they were still using them! Shoot, that's just funny but I was probably the only guy in the country to think so, ...

Honestly, I always fond these little things to be too clunky and just hard to see much thru because they blocked more light then they let thru. But they were cool and nobody else was bothering to even look at them twice. This went on for several years as an amusing little distraction and just when I thought I was done and finally thought I had them all, another fella got a bunch of tools from the Danes and sent me this one; doggone if it isn't just an angled block of wood, ...

Simple, easier to use and you can actually see something with it because it isn't nearly as compact. Go figure.

Now I'm just waiting for the next variation that I don't know about yet to turn up, ...

Here's a quiz for you (as I look thru a bunch of my old pictures); why would a Garand guy want to buys something made by Auto Lite?

Comment

Auto-lite. Carbide lamp for blackening your sights. I used to own one of the charts before I really got the bug and sold it as well as a carbine chart pack. One of my first jobs as a new 2LT when I was assigned to my unit was to reorganize the training/Bn S-3 room. I was assigned to the S-3 while waiting for a platoon to open up. They were in a closet with a bunch of other neat old training items I was told to toss.

Comment

Ouch - that is a cool, sad story.

I have this idea in the back of my head that someday I am going to be able to display some of this stuff and I always thought it would look good just sitting quietly in a corner of a gun case maybe with a coaches sight or something like that. Only the shooters (well, the old ones - sorry, ...) would know what it was and why it was there.

Comment

Working...
                      X