Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas cylinder tightness and front handguard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cylinder tightness and front handguard.

I have a question as to how tight the gas cylinder should be on a gas trap. Coming from the gas port world I try to have about a business card sized gap between the front handguard and the gas cylinder. On a gas trap once the gas cylinder is installed should there be that same gap between the front handguard ferrule and the gas cylinder? If so is it acceptable back the gas cylinder off a turn to make that gap?

About the space of a business card is indeed the correct amount of space to have between the front hand guard ferrule and the gas cylinder. As the rifle heats up metal expands and you want space in there so that it can expand without binding on the hand guard. As a person who likes a very tight lockup I had difficulty accepting that it should be loose. As far as backing off the gas cylinder to create that gap I think that is fine; if you look at the bottom of the barrel you will see a tiny hole that should be exposed in the opening of the gas cylinder;as long as that hole is not obstructed I think the rifle will cycle just fine. Another option (that I used) is to slowly remove wood from the rear of the front hand guard while checking the fit after every few strokes of the sandpaper. A little goes a very long ways and it is easy to remove too much wood. Good luck!

Comment

I made the mistake on my first Garand of making everything tight. At the range, the first shots were in a tight group, then suddenly the point of impact went haywire. Took me a while to figure out what happened. As the barrel got slightly longer with heating, the tension etc. suddenly went away changing everything. It didn't take much firing for that to happen either, maybe three shots.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
      X