1938 SA Garand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1938 SA Garand?

I've got a chance to acquire a SA Garand SN 1506XXX. 1506 shows as a 1938 date but the XXX is throwing me off. Is it actually 1943? New here, thanks.

The serial number is comprised of all 7 digits in this case. 7 numbers is a l-o-n-g way past 1938. Sorry. While we're on the subject--there is ONLY ONE serial number on an M1 rifle--the number on the receiver heel below the maker's stamp. The numbers on the other parts are drawing, or part numbers. Remember this--THERE IS ONLY ONE SERIAL NUMBER ON AN M1 RIFLE. Got it, right????
    Jon

Comment

Hey Jon! Thanks. I was actually wanting to ask you specifically because in surfing the site before I signed up I noticed you seemed to be the go-to guy on this but just ended up asking in general. It's being offered at auction so I haven't even seen it yet and so I don't know the value. I might pick it up if it's in decent shape. Thanks again.
      Bruce

Comment

Folks usually are reluctant to put the serial numbers for their rifles out into the public domain. Usually the last three or four numbers are obscured in pictures. In text, they are replaced by "X"'s or other letters, such as the serial number you provided us.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

I did not know that. Seems wise given the times we're in.

Comment

There is absolutely no good reason to block out serial numbers. Just another internet myth

Comment

• Jersey Devil
              Jersey Devil commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree 100% !!!
          Working...
          X