Sa 84839

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sa 84839

I'm new to this forum. Though I've learned much already! Thank you. About three years ago I purchased the above numbered Garand and am slowly working to bring it back to a more original condition. The barrel is in good condition and has the following; SA 6535448 4 66 MD63 p M Additionally the barrel is stamped CALL GARDNER, MA. Can anyone tell me about this? I know that there was an H&R factory in Gardner. I'm also aware that a workshop for cognitively impaired folks (GAAMHA Industries) located in Gardner, Ma had some kind of a contract about 35 years ago to disassemble and reassemble M1 Garands. I don't know who initiated the contract. Thank you.

Howard, sounds like an import stamp to me.Excel Gardner imported rifles from Korea in the 80s I believe. Google is your friend. I’m guessing you’re already aware the barrel is not original? The parts are out there to restore it, just don’t give up. It will cost 3500 plus to restore it fully, so understand that now. Is the receiver leg etched with any info? Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Moorem1s; 12-30-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• howard950
      howard950 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I've been slowly collecting the appropriate parts for some time. No sign of a barrel yet. The barrel that came with the rifle is good and has some recent history. For now thats OK. I had been going off of the WW II book written by Scott Duff page 206. If it's OK, I'll check back with this forum to verify accuracy of the parts for this rifle?

That rifle would be a candidate for a long restoration for a advanced collector with very deep pockets

Comment

• howard950
      howard950 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information. I don't consider myself an advanced collector. But I am advanced in age. Fortunately I've cared for 15 (it was 18) M1 Garands for almost 20 years as part of an honor guard at a local VFW. I have also cleaned rifles for other veteran organizations and have assisted in returning rifles to the lend lease program from organizations that can no longer use their M1s. This opportunity has allowed me to find a number of appropriate parts which I swap out with newer parts. It's a slow process-but fun. Help is good.

You'll need a 10-40 barrel for that one . A 11-40 could also be used

Comment

• howard950
      howard950 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information. I suppose a 10/40 barrel will be quite expensive and more if it's a shooter. Will keep looking.

I guess a little late for a 9-40 barrel?

Comment

Nope, 9-40 could also work .

Comment

Working...
      X