Old Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Garand

Sort of a quiz, anyone seen a Garand with these parts. I don’t think they are WRA - any guesses -USA marked bolt, uncut oprod.
    Attached Files

Those look like parts that were in their final stages of machining, but didn't make it through to the end of the process.
    Maybe a "lunch box" rifle?
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Good observations. A few more pictures.
      Attached Files

Comment

Is is a rough copy of a foreign made garand ?
        Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Yes it is a Vietnamese copy of an M1

Attached Files

Comment

Really nice photos of a rare Vietnamese copy, you would think that there would have been enough IHC's captured or battlefield pick-ups available rather then resort to making additional rifles.

Some of the Khyber Pass Lee Enfield Mark 1 and Mark III copies are really well done but the experienced collector will still spot them. About twenty five years ago, my friend bought a dozen Mauser M96 and bolo Mauser pistols imported from China. All were well worn except two that were Chinese handmade examples, I tried to buy or trade him for these two but no luck.

Also remember the Model 1911A1 pistols converted to 7,63x25mm, crude but they worked.

Comment

I think pretty much all of those Chinese imported C96's were brought in by one company in South Carolina in the 80's. I have their info buried in storage. They actually brought in some really nice originals in that batch too. They re-sleeved any that were in reasonable shape but the barrels were toast and even made up some Karbiners from certain ones and some nice repro holsters among other things. Forget their name off the top of my head.

Comment

This is fascinating but the banner stamp is especially intriguing.

I can't make out everything, but the words at the bottom appear to be HÒA HÀO. This might reference the Hoa Hao People's Communal Army force. This was 'military/defensive' arm of the Vietnamese Buddhist religion founded in the Mekong Delta region prior to WW2. They fought against the Viet Minh and Viet Cong but not necessarily in support of the South Vietnam government.
                Along the left arch of the circle might be QUÂN ĐÔI which loosely translates as 'armed forces'. The right side might be PHÂT GIÁO which is Buddhism in Vietnamese.

If taken as a whole, the M1 might have been manufactured indigenouly for the Buddhist militia/army.

Please provide a oblique view that catches the rest of the writing with better shadows.

I'm amazed at the forging, machining, and file work that went into this rifle.

Mike

Comment

I've honestly never heard of Garands being manufactured in Viet Nam.
                  The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                  The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                    I've honestly never heard of Garands being manufactured in Viet Nam.
                    Hand made. Check out the video of hand made 1911's in the Philippines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1TXEE_QK4
                    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DEB6825F-6AD3-48E6-8872-73BCDF7CEEEE.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	34990 How about those Chinese FN M1900 copies.

Comment

Working...
                      X