Beware the silent squib.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware the silent squib.

Been hand loading for 60 years and had my first squib yesterday. I had loaded up a test batch of ammo for my Mosin and, out on the range, I had fired maybe 25 rnds out of my bolt action, all of a sudden, pulled the trigger and click, nothing. First thought was a bad primer but then I pulled the bolt back out pops a spent case. Hummm! Further examination showed this dumb bunny has missed a powder charge in one cartridge. The primer fire had pushed a bullet 6" down the bore. Bullet was easily removed with a cleaning rod and went back to shooting. By the way I had a ball.

Giving this a bit more thought on how easy this would be for the loaders that move a loading tray around under a powder measure to charge their cases and miss one. Such a mistake with an auto loader could really create the problem that we read about every once in awhile. A person is using a semi auto , fires a fews rnds and click. First thought is a bad primer so pull the op rod back and chamber another round. OOPS, bad idea, if you have a squib load with a bullet in the barrel you have just created a bomb in front of your face. Think every time before pulling the trigger. Has everything, to this point, been normal? If not back up and check to see why.

Not sure how I missed it. There are LED lights on my press and I " normally " look in each charged case before seating a bullet. Senior moment?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loading 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	34943

Comment

For this reason I stopped using a loading block. Once the case is charged, I check for propellant at the proper level, then immediately seat the bullet.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Exactly. I have the primed cases in the blocks with the primer up. I take one at a time, charge it and immediately check for powder and the seat the bullet. Somehow, I missed the powder check.

Comment

Darn good thing you know the drill in regards to shooting those very reloads. Explosive events in your face universally have never been well received by the shooting pubic at large.

Comment

I still use the loading block but the casings are taken out of a separate box one-at-a-time, charged, and then put in the loading block. After the block is filled, I look into each cartridge with a small flashlight to check just to make sure. Can't be too careful.
            Jon

Comment

Working...
            X