Overall length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall length?

I'm new to reloading 30-06. I have some brass ready to go, with CCI #34 military large rifle primers (all I could find under current conditions), and IMR 4895.

I just happened to have a box of 150gr flat nose copper jacket "extreme bullets" in .308 in my closet, which were used for 300 blackout subsonic loads.

Problem is, the projectiles are shorter and fatter, leaving the overall length at 3".

Considering the Garands converted to 7.62 NATO with an insert fed ok, I would think this would work also, but I figured I'd ask before I do do it.

I was planning to start with 49gr of IMR4895. Not going for accuracy obviously, this is just for plinking at the range.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; 01-23-2022, 11:39 AM.

If those are copper plated, they may not be able to handle normal .30-06 velocities. You might have to go to a much lesser charge of faster-burning propellant.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
      If those are copper plated, they may not be able to handle normal .30-06 velocities. You might have to go to a much lesser charge of faster-burning propellant.
      Thank you, after your reply and further reading I found these are no good above say 1300-1600 fps, and can't take a strong crimp.

So I will obviously not be using these projectiles. Glad I asked.

Thanks again
      Last edited by flgliderpilot; 01-23-2022, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I sometimes like to use down-loaded ammo in a Garand though it has to be manually cycled. Easy to retrieve the brass and good for basic marksmanship practice.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
        X